Furnace Won't Turn On And No Light To Reset - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

furnace won't turn on and no light to reset

My oil furnace had been turned off, now it's cold and when I tried to start it, I turned the switch on and nothing came on, no light on the reset and I can't manually start the blower. Yes, there is oil in it. Please please help!!!! Single mom with three boys.

Advertisement

threeb0ys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 740

sounds like there is no power to it. Check the fuses/breaker in the electrical box and the power switch to the furnace. Flip it a couple times. Those switches can die from old age so you may need a new one.

Advertisement

threeb0ys (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Wink

Thank you very much, I have switched fuses, I turned the switch on and off a few times tried the breaker. I am at a loss. Looks like I need to contact my fuel supplier, there goes a million bucks. No kidding but being sunday and all. I do appreciate all your help and effort! Stephanie
threeb0ys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

RED emergency switch at the top of the stairs or into the gargage....make sure its on and the furnace switch itself also...so you have it all up.....do you have led lighted numbers on the thermostat....lets hear back it's something simple even if somebody is called its a quick fix....
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,044

Tip. next year sometime the beginning of OCT turn your heat on for a test and be ready for the cold weather don't wait till it's cold to start your unit. I try to have all my PM work done by OCT and ready for the cold. Same thing in the Spring get all your A/C units running early don't wait till a 100deg day.
COLDIRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

There is a restart button on the motor that allows you to reset the system. If the furnace doesn't stay on after pressing the button once or twice, you have to troubleshoot the appliance.

If your troubleshooting doesn't yield results, you have to call a technician. Examine your warranty to see if you are covered for repair or eligible for a replacement. To avoid these problems in the future, keep your oil tank at least one quarter full. Change the fuel filters frequently. If there is no activity when you press the reset button, it could be a problem with the electrical fuses. But you have checked and replaced them you can also check to see if you have a faulty motor (also called the burner assembly) could be the source of the problem when an oil furnace won't start. A motor may fail if too much oil gets inside. If your problem is a faulty motor, you are going to have to call a service technician to your home to replace it

If you have a home warranty, problems with your oil furnace may be covered. If you are in a low income household you may be eligible for energy assistance from your state, which helps cover your oil bill and furnace repair costs.
Good lucků

Advertisement

epson is offline   Reply With Quote