Furnace Won't Turn On - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

furnace won't turn on

Hi, I have a Carrier Weathermaster 2000 Mod# 58TUA08014 Ser# 3496A08764. It runs fine for awhile but occasionally won't start until I go downstairs and turn the power switch on the side of the furnace off and back on. The problem now is becoming more frequent. It seems to do it most often when the thermostat has cycled cooler all night so the furnace has been off for awhile. I have taken the covers off and checked for loose wiring, etc. and cleaned everything including all electrical contacts. Yesterday I did notice one transformer on the bottom felt hot before I restarted it manually again this morning. Today I checked it while the furnace was operating fine and the same transformer was cool. The transformer is not named on the wiring diagram but is on the right side and has a black & white wire going to it on top and blue & red going to it on the bottom. Any advice? Thanks! Bill Hoidas

Advertisement

energybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

furnace won't turn on

the wires on the TR are 115V into it B/W and 24Vs out red/blue as long as the toggle on the side of the furnace is on these are constants...with the stat in the space controlling the Red wire to do fan or cooling or heat.if it is cool when the furnace is running could be just air moving over it and hot when the furnace isn't running.if it is mounted outside the furnace could of been a change out(especially if it is wire nutted on both wire sides)if you have a digital meter check that 24Vs side shouldn' be lower but higher is OK 27/28.that cycling of the toggle is that your resetting the lock out within the control board for some reason....are there sequencing LEDS giving you a failure code flashing?

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 864

furnace won't turn on

Remove and clean the flame sensor with steel wool or 400 emory paper. Very common problem with that furnace. Should sit in front of one of the burners and look like this:
Attached Images

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #4

furnace won't turn on

thanks but no flame sensor as it's electronic ignition with "glow plug" I don't think the transformer is for the humidifier as it's mounted on the blower housing but I'll check. I just read about the led code on the wiring diagram yesterday so haven't been able to read a code yet when it's "stalled"

Bill
Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,718

furnace won't turn on

It has a flame sensor.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #6

furnace won't turn on

I feel stupid. I can take an engine apart and put it back together so I'm pretty handy. I looked all over the burner assembly and nothing looks like this.

Bill
Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 864

furnace won't turn on

That is a compact furnace. The flame sensor may be underneath the far right burner if I remember. Has a single wire to it and held in place by a 1/4 inch screw. It IS there. The bent rod part curls up in front of the burner. The only part you see is the wire and porcelain. Don't feel bad, it really is there.

Last edited by yuri; 02-06-2009 at 07:46 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #8

furnace won't turn on

Hi,

It;s so funny because just before I read your reply I realized what part it was. The problem was I don't have a repair or user's guide and didn't realize the scale. From your picture and others it looks like a larger part with maybe a 6-8" thermocouple. On mine it's on the left side but I imagine it doesn't matter what burner it's in front of. I took it out & cleaned it and it was a bit corroded. Hopefully that does the trick but if it acts up again I'll watch for the led code. Thanks so much for your great patience in helping me with my problem!

Bill
--
Bill Hoidas
Consultant Manager Larger B2B/MOTO/Internet Accounts
Product Development Manager
Matrix Payment Systems
(847) 381-3482 office
(847) 381-4289 fax
http://paymentconsulting.net
http://chicago.citysearch.com/review/44659273
http://paymentconsulting.net/adv_funding.html
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten
Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

These days we are facing an economic crisis and need to prepare ourselves more effectively for the recovery - to discover opportunities, identify potential partners looking for opportunities, looking for a reason to hope. Now it's a good idea to ask: how could my product/service provide opportunities in today's economic climate?

Advertisement