Furnace Won't Start In The Morning - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace Won't Start In The Morning

I set my thermostat down during the overnight hours and hear it kicking in occassionally but then when it's supposed to kick in for the morning "waking up" hours, it doesn't and then the temp in the house starts dropping. If I turn the power switch (next to the furnace) off and then back on, it starts up and if fine for the day.

Why won't it kick start in the mornings when it's time to heat up the house?

Advertisement

chiimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

post the make, model #, serial # and age and type Ie: gas, oil, hot water boiler for more help.

Advertisement

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #3

It's a Bryant Gas furnace...I don't see a serial or model number anywhere...about nine years old.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Open the front door by the burners and look on the left side for a sticker. Does it have a metal pipe going to a chimney or plastic venting pipes?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #5

Model:
383KAV048111

Metal pipe going to a chimney.

I had read that cleaning the sensor might be a cure...does that sound right? I read that I should use a fine sand paper (emory board work?) or steel wool. It looks like it would be hard to reach (It's that little metal rod sticking in there, yes?) if I couldn't use an emory board unless I take it out--which I'm not sure how to do.

Or does that sound like a wrong solution?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

If there is a viewing window on the bottom door with a flashing LED count the number of flashes before resetting the power next time. On the back of that door is a legend with the codes. Make sure you pay attention as the short flashes are not much different than the long ones and you can mix up the reading. You can clean it with steel wool after removing it. It sits in front of the left burner and has ONE wire going to it and looks like this one:
Attached Images

Last edited by yuri; 01-21-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #7

By reading the LED lights and looking at the legend, I'll get a clue to what's wrong?

Is the sensor just secured with one set screw?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

yes and yes 1/4 in screw
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #9

I'll try cleaning off the sensor...this morning it didn't come on again and (because I woke up earlier than normal) I flicked the switch off and one before remembering to look at the LED's! I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning. Once it comes on in the morning it's good for the rest of the day. Why would that be? Is it the lower overnight temperature that screws it up?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #10

I took out the sensor and cleaned it with steel wool this morning. It didn't look dirty, but who knows, maybe that was all it was. I won't know until tomorrow morning when the heater kicks back in after the lower overnight temperature. It only happens when it cycles from the overnight lower setting to the higher morning setting. If the sensor isn't the problem, could it be the thermostat? A glitch in programming? It used to only have this issue once a week at most, but has been not kicking in every day this week, so is getting worse.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
Hvac Pro

Lots of problems with circuit boards and pressure switches for that furnace. I have worked on hundreds of them. Get the code. The pressure switch is inexpensive, the board not cheap.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #12

Sounds good...If it happens again tomorrow morning, I'll get the code. I really appreciate your help. I just started my own business about 1.5 years ago and am on a tight budget, so anything I'm able to do myself is greatly appreciated. I'll see what it does in the morning. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #13

After cleaning the sensor yesterday, the furnace kicked in as it was supposed to this morning. I'll see if it continues, otherwise, if it does fail again, I'll get the codes and see what they mean.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #14

My furnance is having the same problem.

I set my thermostat down during the overnight hours and hear it kicking in occassionally but then when it's supposed to kick in for the morning "waking up" hours, it doesn't and then the temp in the house starts dropping. If I turn the power switch (next to the furnace) off and then back on, it starts up and if fine for the day.

The furnance is Day & Night with a model# 376CAV03675. However, I couldn't locate a senser like that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

JasonY is offline   Reply With Quote