Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Furnace won't light

We have a keep-rite (i beleive) furnace and it won't light most of the time. The electic igniter does its thing sparking (or arcing whatever you want to call it) but the pilot won't light. We have to turn the furnace off and on or sometimes even blow in at the ignitor to get it to light. Any one have any ideas on this? I tried to find another thread that spoke about this, but most seemed to be about the other ignitors (the ones that glow or heat up).

Babybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Furnace won't light

Hi Babybird It sounds like to me from your thread you need to have the pilot assembly removed and cleaned. This is something that you can do yourself if you are mechanically inclined and are extremely careful not to damage the pilot tube or the pilot assembly. If you are comfortable with that tear into it and give it a try. If you need some detailed instructions let us know. If you are not comfortable with this venture, please call a "qualified" servicing company. Good luck Rusty

Old 03-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #3

Furnace won't light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybird View Post
We have a keep-rite (i beleive) furnace and it won't light most of the time. The electic igniter does its thing sparking (or arcing whatever you want to call it) but the pilot won't light. We have to turn the furnace off and on or sometimes even blow in at the ignitor to get it to light. Any one have any ideas on this? I tried to find another thread that spoke about this, but most seemed to be about the other ignitors (the ones that glow or heat up).
If you have a can of computer air or a portable air tank from the garage, and a nozzle, you can blow directly into the pilot (with the furnace power off) and 9 out of 10 times, it will do the trick with out any or with minimal disassembly. Good Luck ......
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote