Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18
Unhappy

Furnace wont light

I have a carrier 58SX updraft condensing furnace.Water dripped onto the blowercontrol board and torched it. I replaced the board and it does everything normal right up through lighting the pilot. Problem is the gas valve will not open.

I jumped out the R & W wires on the board thermostat and it still wont open the valve...any suggestions as to what might also have blown when the card torched?

jrf0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
as seen on tv

Rewards Points: 150

Furnace wont light

Did you correct the water problem? That furnace was known for a leaky collector box and drain issues. Check all drains for blockage and inspect the collector box for leaks.

qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18
Lightbulb

Furnace wont light

i cleaned the plastic drain tubes, its hard to tell exactly where its been leaking cause its pretty corroded. I suspect the evaporator coil drain for the AC may have been leaking onto since it blew the board this summer. They were pretty dirty. I cleaned all the tubes/drains i could locate.
jrf0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Furnace wont light

Have seen those furnaces wipe out the whole low voltage circuit from water on the board. Will just about bet the the valve is shot. May want to have the secondary heat exchanger inspected as well. Most of the sx furnaces I checked had delaminating secondaries. Secondaries are covered by a lifetime part warranty. I think there is a replacement program involving these furnaces. Contact a Carrier dealer for details.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote