Furnace Wont Light - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace wont light

I have a older freedom 80 furnace made by american standard. Model ADD040C924E0.It will not start when there is a call for heat. The blower starts, but not the burner. I see it start to glow then it shuts off, but the blower keeps running.If I go down and shut power off for a few minutes then back on it will start up and run as normal. I am getting 4 blinking lights on the board for a limit switch.
I have checked continuity of the switches I can identify and they are all closed. I took the filters out in case that was an issue. They were new, but it doesn't solve my problem.
A few years ago i had to replace the control board has it had shorted against the sheet metal. Still have the black mark! I replaced it with a White Rodgers 50A65-843.
Worked great til now.What should I be looking at to figure this out? Thanks!

PS: I just took the control board off and the back on the circuit board has a brown spot about the size of a half dollar, but it doesn't look to me to be a short although I have een wrong before!

Advertisement

rkmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,538

Furnace wont light

if it looks like this it toast
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace wont light-002.jpg  

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace wont light

So you wont necessarily catch it open unless you catch it open!
There are tatttle tales to leave on switches that will tell you if it opened overnight etc. I simply bypass the limit temporarily and see if the limit opens with an ohmmeter, the limit will normally never open up, unless defective or a cracked heat exchanger, obstructed filter or AC coil etc.
With these furnaces the components are really cheap wholesale and tend to fail about every 7 yrs or less.
These being the Ignition module either Hot Surface Ignitor,HSI or intermittent spark , the pressure switch for the induced draft which proves the draft exists
its tubing and reaming both orifices where the tube connects with a tiny drill bit,
flame sensors are simply ground rods that do not ever fail in reality as even if the ceramic cracks the flame rod is still ground and senses the DC signal of the pilot flame thus proving a pilot flame exists, the terminals SENSE and GRND are common on the ignition modules of all types as they both use flame rectification to prove a pilot exists.
In other words you can troubleshoot a few 2--50 parts that fail with regularity or do the customer a real service and perform a tier 1 level protocol repair as in Air Force 1 maintenance! It is not the parts shotgun to replace all the weak links that are cheap and not worth overlooking and the customer next month or year has you back for the next part you didn't install the 1st time,
Honeywell and Robert Shaw Grayson make retro fit lits that are about $300
this includes a new gas valve! ignition module!! pilot assembly, essentially a refurbished unit if you toss in the $10 flame roll outs and $30 limit and $20 pressure switch, the only weak item then is the induced draft motor and they are a bit pricey so I don't prophylactic ally service them.
Chimmy is offline   Reply With Quote