Furnace Won't Light - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Furnace won't light

My Carrier 58MXA060 won't light. The gooseneck came off of the intake air pipe and allowed water to pool up in the combustion air fan. When I turned the furnace on, the CAF ran for awhile, got hot, and then quit. I drained the water out of the fan but it still will not start. I checked the power to the fan on start-up but can get no voltage. I suspect the circuit board may have failed but not sure. Any help is appreciated

dave4

Advertisement

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Furnace won't light

if the CAF is dried out remove the 2 keads should be 115Vs but check the motor info if it is check eact lead to the CAF housing and see if you have continuity thru those 2 wires from the motor winding is solid NOW if it is 115V ring over and extetion cord and actuallt plug it in see if it runs .you don't need to remove motor do it in place..if it runs your losing 115 from that board trace the wires back to the board that feeds the CAF...i'll check back or somebody might kick in info on where to read the out volts to that motor....

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace won't light

Thanks for your response, Biggies. As it turned out, the problem was water in the line to the pressure switch. The condensate drain line was plugged and water backed up causing the pressure switch to stay in a closed position. I unplugged the drain line, disconnected all relative hoses and drained them, and tapped on the pressure switch to let any residual water drain out. That took care of the problem, the CAF took right off, the burner lit, and voilla, all systems are go.
dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Furnace won't light

might want to check that tube thats goes to the that CAF randomly thru the heating season condensation could build up from the CAF pulling cold air in and stopping that switch from proofing it is considerd a maint item on a service start up if a guy walked in.being a home owner you know it will be happening when your out visiting and return to a cold house.the sequence goes the stat heating call brings on the CAF and that poofs the Pressure switch and then you get ignition and burners...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,096

Furnace won't light

you should remove the drain trap and clean it thoroughly with hot water and shake the trap with water in it. Do this until you no longer have black specs coming out.