Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

Furnace won't ignite

I have a Goodman GMP100-3 Rev 6 Gas Furnace. The unit will start up, fan blows, gas flows for a few seconds and no ignition of the gas. I can manually light the gas with a long lighter and unit runs fine until the correct temprature is achieved. When the house temp drops the furnace repeats the with a few seconds of gas flow and no ignition. The Hot Surface Igniter does not activate the best I can tell. I visually inspected the Igniter for cracks and did not notice any damage. I looked at the control board for a LED indicator. The light on the board just stayed lit no blinking. The control board number is 818099-13.

Unemployed Dad...Any advice would be appreciated.

acdpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #2

Furnace won't ignite

I just had to fix my goodman furnace by looking at the following items

1. I replaced the ignitor because mine was cracked
2. After replacing the ignitor it would not activate and the blower continually run
3. I rest the ignition chamber by pressing the top and the bottom rest buttons. You will see them because they each have two wires running to them
4. Located the vacuum hose that run from the blower to a sensor and when I looked at it there was a hole in it. After cutting down the hose and double checking the hose for leaks I reconnected the hose to the fittings on the blower and the sensor and then turned the furnace on again.

This corrected the issues I was having with my furnace I hope that it helps in your case.

A couple of caution Items

1. Make sure you turn off the electricity to the furnace as well as turning down the termistat and gas
2. It is never recommended to manually light your furnace
3. Never touch the ignitor with your fingers because of the oil on your fingers will cause the ignitor to burn out and not glow correctly.

If you have checked the things I have and your hose and reset buttons are fine then I would recommend you remove the ignitor and replace it. I payed about 30.00 Dollars for a new one.

LRenigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

Furnace won't ignite

From your description, I would imagine it would have to be the igniter, or the board. The gas flowing tells me that all your safety switches are operating and not preventing the start-up of the furnace. Check to see if you are getting 120V to the igniter.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #4

Furnace won't ignite

If you don't see the ignitor glow orange it is not working. Either a bad ignitor or control board or loose pin plug. Get a $10 volt meter from wally world and put the leads in the pin plug and set the t-stat for heat. if you have 110v the board is good. unplug the ignitor and ohm the ignitor. it should show open. My bet is the ignitor. even an ignitor that glows may not be hot enough to create ignition if it is weak. it should pull 3 amps if good.
chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #5

Furnace won't ignite

I have 110v at the igniter. Board is good. I will pick up igniter today. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #6

Furnace won't ignite

I have the ignitor installed and nice warm house. Total cost $47.82 and 15 minutes. Thanks for the help in allowing me to save a few $$.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #7

Furnace won't ignite

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdpow View Post
I have a Goodman GMP100-3 Rev 6 Gas Furnace. The unit will start up, fan blows, gas flows for a few seconds and no ignition of the gas. I can manually light the gas with a long lighter and unit runs fine until the correct temprature is achieved. When the house temp drops the furnace repeats the with a few seconds of gas flow and no ignition. The Hot Surface Igniter does not activate the best I can tell. I visually inspected the Igniter for cracks and did not notice any damage. I looked at the control board for a LED indicator. The light on the board just stayed lit no blinking. The control board number is 818099-13.

Unemployed Dad...Any advice would be appreciated.
Saw that you got this fixed, congrats. One trick I learned is to put just a little bit of sideways pressure on the tip of the ignitor when inspecting..... I had an "invisible" crack that would only show up when you bent the ignitor. It also made the furnace light sometimes, and sometimes not. Really threw Dad and I for a loop.. he finally found the crack. Dads, what would we do without them?
moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 150

Furnace won't ignite

A GMP.

Check heat exchanger for cracks and or popped crimp rings.

May not have anything to do with your no heat. But, all of them need checked.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote