Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #1

Share |

furnace wattage (nat gas burners)

alright, my furnace right now when running is running at 1.982KW/h which seems high for just an inducer motor and blower motor.... I am shopping for a new furnace right now and I am seeing quotes like "uses less electric then a 100 watt light bulb when running" seriously? I find that hard to believe... I was also looking down a trane manual for a newer variable speed furnace and it claims at the low blower stage it only uses 120 watts of power.....

anyone in the field able to back up these furnaces really using that little? I find it very hard to believe that a 3/4 hp blower motor uses that little when my current 1HP motor uses almost 2 killowatts and its not even that old...

or are these the new digital motors that are supose to be better? I know my current one isnt one
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #2

The new X13's are probably 1/3 more efficient then yours at rated output, the "100 watt light bulb" quote is misleading, they are quoting low constant fan recirculating only speed mode, which is about 1/3 the speed of the lowest heating speed. Look at the amp requirement (in the furnace spec sheet)to find the truth, they can't fudge that data.

Last edited by bungalow_steve; 12-16-2011 at 03:06 PM.
bungalow_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalow_steve View Post
The new X13's are probably 1/3 more efficient then yours, the "100 watt light bulb" quote is misleading, they are quoting low constant fan recirculating only speed mode, which is about 1/3 the speed of the lowest heating speed.
ah! Now if the litature on them would just say that...

are the new trane furnaces digital motors? didn't see anything that explicitly says that
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

If it has a V in the model number. Ie XE80V is a 80 % efficient with an ECM (electronically commutated motor) which is the energy efficient type. V means variable speed and they are coming out with the X13 which is non variable speed but is constant torque and energy efficient. They are not "digital" but the circuit board of the furnace is. Some older ones have a circuit board built into the motor but the latest ones let the main circuit board handle all the "digital" requirements/business.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
ah! Now if the litature on them would just say that...

are the new trane furnaces digital motors? didn't see anything that explicitly says that
I believe you mean DC motors, the newer more efficient motors are DC, vs the older AC motors that have been used on furnaces. The higher end models have DC motors. DC motors run at highest efficiency at low speed, AC worst at low speed therefore, DC specs look very good at low speeds compared to AC motors. (ECM = DC motor, PSC = AC motor)

DC motors are more expensive compared to AC motors

this watts graph here comparing DC vs AC motors is useful
http://www.nailor.com/pdf/ECM_1.pdf

Last edited by bungalow_steve; 12-16-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

There are several other advantages to the V variable speed ECMs that NO fixed speed PSC or the constant torque can match. With a true V drive a SKILLED tech can adjust the superheat for an AC system extremely well which results in better dehumidification, comfort and NRG savings. Sometimes we need to decrease the airflow to get better dehumidification and a fixed speed motor cannot do that. Carrier is starting to use 350 cfm/ton vs the old 400 cfm/ton so we need to slow down the fan to get optimum performance. They can also produce a higher static pressure .8"WC vs the .5 of a PSC which can compensate slightly or quite a bit in some marginally undersized duct systems. Value is not always about cost/watt to run but what the motor can accomplish.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #7

anything that requires a SKILLED tech to balance and optimize is bound to cause havoc with your hvac in the long run
Old 12-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Hvac Pro

Say what?
Leaving it unbalanced is what causes havoc as liquid refrigerant slugs back to the compressor and damages/destroys it. Finding a skilled tech is the biggest problem.