Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #1

Share |

Furnace Transfer Switch...

Over in Electrical some of us have been chatting about the proper use of a generator and specifically about being able to power up a gas furnace during a power outage.

One of the posts mentions a furnace transfer switch. Following is what was posted by satchris:

"Here is a product that allows you to replace that existing switch at the furnace with this furnace transfer switch. It provides a male 15amp to which you can connect the standard female end of an extension cord. It has a switch with three positions: LINE, OFF, GEN. They also offer a 20amp model TF201W. The brand on this is Reliance and the model is Pro/Tran TF151W. It says Standby Power Furnace Switch. I am sure other companies produce similar products. Here is a link for the product at Northern Tool:
http://www2.northerntool.com/product..._200196724.htm"

and the manufacturers website at:

http://www.reliancecontrols.com/Prod...spx?pl=et&c=&f=

...Would like to know what you HVAC pros think of this?

Thanks, Casey

caseywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:19 AM   #2

I like the 15 amp better............20 amp in most cases would be over kill.

acefurnacefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #3

Ace, I agree since the 15 amp will trip sooner if something happens. Otherwise, does this seem safe and reasonable option? I will be getting a permit and having an inspection on this installation.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #4

Absolutly....................
acefurnacefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi caseywa

See if you can get mdshunks opinion on this also. He is normally right on the money with his answers. I would reccomend this before you spend your money.

Good luck
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #6

Install an outlet box before the wiring enters the furnace. The outlet box will have a switch and an outlet. Have the power coming to the furnace go to the switch first and then to the outlet. The outlet will then go to the furnace. When the generator is needed turn off switch (seperating the power from the main panel) and plug into the outlet with your cord from the generator.

The main shut off for the furnace should still remain.

Label the new outlet/switch accordingly.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #7

Copy you #Carrierman...will do.

redline...currently the furnace is hardwire as I believe is required by the NEC even though the code is not rock solid on this issue. (I have the 2005 code book) The furnace is now wired coming into a single outlet then to an on/off switch. This is guess allows anyone working on the furnace to have a sure way of cutting the power and still have an outlet to use if needed.

Whatya think mdshunks?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #8
World famous jerk.

Redline's advice is hazardous, and not code compliant.

That single circuit transfer switch with the little 15 amp flanged inlet is just what you need. 99 bucks... it's a no-brainer. Now, if you feel that you want maybe the refrigerator and a couple of other things on the generator too, you can get a very similar transfer switch that will do a couple of more circuits. The frige and microwave and such have cords on already, so you can always run an extension cord out to the generator to get by. You can't really do that with your furnace, so that transfer switch is right on the money!
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:12 PM   #9

Thank you mdshunk....that is the way I would like to go. Since we have infrequent outages I do not mind running the spaghetti lines from the generator to the fridge, freezer and a few lights. It was the heat that would make the difference. I am a firm believer in doing it right and being safe as a diy homeowner.

I appreciate both you and #Carrierman for being around sharing your thoughts, you both have my respect.

Casey
Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 AM   #10

Hi
After a power outage where I wired in my furnace with the Main off. I think I have a design for a box that will automatically isolate the Furnace from the Main and allow an extention cord to be safely connected to run it.
The box would be prewired, and only require that the power cable to the furnace be cut & connected on either side of the box..Any thoughts
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywa View Post
Over in Electrical some of us have been chatting about the proper use of a generator and specifically about being able to power up a gas furnace during a power outage.

One of the posts mentions a furnace transfer switch. Following is what was posted by satchris:

"Here is a product that allows you to replace that existing switch at the furnace with this furnace transfer switch. It provides a male 15amp to which you can connect the standard female end of an extension cord. It has a switch with three positions: LINE, OFF, GEN. They also offer a 20amp model TF201W. The brand on this is Reliance and the model is Pro/Tran TF151W. It says Standby Power Furnace Switch. I am sure other companies produce similar products. Here is a link for the product at Northern Tool:
http://www2.northerntool.com/product..._200196724.htm"

and the manufacturers website at:

http://www.reliancecontrols.com/Prod...spx?pl=et&c=&f=

...Would like to know what you HVAC pros think of this?

Thanks, Casey
I'm not a HVAC guy but an electrician... what do you want to know about the product? it does what is says it does...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #12

Hi Chris 75
Yep, the trasnfer switch at Northern is excellent, my "brillant" design had Micro switches that opened when a flap over the Male connection was lifted,
The Switch at Notherntool is available, mine is "all in my head" thanks for your time and trouble ...DonR
Old 02-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #13

having read this thread why aren't your going into your main house circuit breaker panel to catch the entire house during a outage?......
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #14

Biggles
If your reply was for me, Going into the Main Panel, requires a professional to complete the installation, and this is followed by an electrical inspection.
If you go this route you may as well get a 6 or more circuit box to run more appliances in an outage, you will need a 5000 Watt or better Generator.
What I had in mined was a DIY box on the Furnace Line that would run the Furnace from a smaller Generator, (3000 Watts) using an extension cord. the box would be designed to isolate the Furnace, and not allow feed back to the Panel and out onto the line.
DonR
Old 02-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #15

thats 30 amps vs 50 amps.....give or take an amp.even if you have a gas furnace for heated air into the house your draw in amps might be 6 amps top during a run.a gas boiler your looking at 2-3 amps the oil burner type would draw the most for heating a house.100 watt light bulb draw .4 amps refrigerator draws 2.5 amps aassorted electronics 5 amps.i have a 3500 series enerator wired into my house panel 50' up my drive way with the gen.in the garage and have run it with meters on both legs of the tie ins(fuse box) and it is tops 7 to 8 amps on each....TV on COMPUTER on 4 lights on FRIG running.my point is all the trouble you going thru to run a heating system and walk around with flash lights when you can run your whole house with a 3500 (30 amps)tied into the top of your circuit breaker panel with a disconnect switch from the generator.i have 2/30 toggle switches next to my fuse box that control the 2/115V lines coming in from the generator..my street isolation is a pull block that holds the 2/fuses for the power companies(230V)feeder coming in.[img]the 2 sockets you see i physically have to plug in both 115V lines and flip the breaker up.then above that i have on/off toggle going out to the house,and the last box in the garage has 2/inset fuses 20 amps each to cover the run down the driveway.the biggest thing with having it on is to be conservative NO!!! washing machine...AC...blow dryers...microwaves...cutting 2x6s or any other heavy draws on the amps(watts),which relates to the gas consumption in a 4 gallon tank.for the guys checking this out i ran a 75' homerun of 10/3 and copper ground from the last deep 1900 box in the garage out to/up into the fuse box area in the kitchen.if i can run 5 to 7 amps consistantly i can do 40 hours on 4 gallons of gas....if your interested in this setup wait till i put up my backup to this setup using my 4x4 12V into an converter for 115V.
[/img]

Last edited by biggles; 02-17-2008 at 08:15 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote