Furnace Submerged After Flood - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace submerged after flood

With the exception of the gas valve train, my York P3UR was submerged last night after the monsoon here in S.C. I've had flooding in my basement before, but only high enough to wipe out the ignition control board. One bright spot; I took out the control board before the water reached it so it's still good. Bad: the burner, ignitor, draft switch, draft blower, etc were all under water for at least a few hours.
In just a little while I'll go down there an make sure there's no residual water and that everything is dry before reinstalling the control board and firing it up. I don't have much hope that it will but I've gotta try. If anyone has done this before, I'd sure like to hear any lessons learned, caveats, recommendations, etc.

Advertisement

Hobiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,580

Can tend to burn out the control board.

If any crude is left in the inducer motor. If it shorts it over loads the control board.

No flood insurance huh.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Matter of fact today I went to my ins. agency to make a car ins. payment and asked for a homeowner ins. policy printout. There was an extra page just after the intro page which stated boldly that I had no flood ins. We had a ton of rain here so the insurance companies and agents are ready for the flood (no pun intended) of calls.
I've replaced the inducer blower before and kept the old one. Interestingly the old motor's windings have continuity but the capacitor reads slightly below nameplate. Maybe it's still good 'cause at the time of that replacement, I eventually put in a new board so that could have been the problem. I hope so because the inducer blower is about $250. And I'm probably looking a a handful of other parts.
Hobiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I would dry those components with a blow drier or heat gun to dry up that water.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

AC motors generally survive a short time flood pretty well. DC brushed motors not so well. The major problem would be corrosion on all non sealed contactors. If you dried it out as soon as you could you may be in better shape than you think. I never had a flood, but survived a hurricain, and it is sometimes surprising what works after been drenched in water. Had a TV that didn't work, another that did work but lasted only 6 months after. A stereo amp that went out several years later. And a CD player that still works, 18 years later. Most things like toster ovens worked for a while. It's likely that you will replace a few parts, and have trouble again next heating season.
H. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote