Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

furnace shuts off and won't come back on for at least an hour

Hello;
I have a 1 year old furnace. It comes on and seems to run normally all morning and then in the afternoon it starts switching off and then won't come back on when the temp begins to drop. An hour or more later it starts up again as if nothing happened. It will do this 2 or 3 times in a day. Sometimes I can get it to start again by turning it off and turning it back on. Usually this won't work till after at least an hour has passed.
Any ideas?????????

clseahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,362

Post the make and model #. Does it show an error code. Look for a flashing LED in a viewing port on one of the inner doors of the unit. Should be a legend there to tell you what the code means.

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,762

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Post the make and model #. Does it show an error code. Look for a flashing LED in a viewing port on one of the inner doors of the unit. Should be a legend there to tell you what the code means.
I'm too tired to retype all that.

So, what he said.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #4

Not sure of model number. Couldn't find any lights. Called the people who installed it. It has been continuing to shut down at least once or twice everyday. Serviceman said it was because my returns weren't big enough or there weren't enough, that there was too much difference between the air coming in and the air going out. Then he left. But after thinking about it these are the same vents and returns I had last year and it didn't do this last year and why would they have installed the furnace they did if there were insufficient returns??? Also the attic gets really really hot when the furnace is running. It didn't do that last year either.....what can I do???????? It makes no sense.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Model number will be inside the panel you remove to get to the burner compartment.

Fault lights, you can see thought small sight glass in blower panel.

Check your supply ducts for leaks.
Call the installing company back, and tell them their service tech said they installed a furnace in your home that needs more air then you have return for. And you either want the right size furnace. Or them to install the proper return(they'll send out a better tech).

Does this furnace have an A/C coil on it. Is it new, or the same coil the old furnace used.

Have you changed your air filter recently. If you didn't change it last week. Change it now.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #6

I have an air cleaner and washed the filters about 3 weeks ago. They were very clean. Got hardly any dirt out of them. I think the coil is the same one as the old furnance. I just can't beleive that shutting down from overheating almost everyday is an OK thing. It didn't shut down last winter and it had the same vents and returns as it has now. Nothing has changed. He just told me to run the fan all day. I hate running the fan. It's noisy and blows cool air on me all day when the burners aren't on. yuch I have a five year labor warranty. Should it cover any of this?

Last edited by clseahorse; 01-11-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

call in another reputable co. to inspect the installation. or call the local city inspector to inspect the job.There should have been a permit pulled for this work to be done.

let me try again sorry im tired, first was there a permit? did a city or county inspector come out and look at the job after completion?If not call your city and verify that weather or not a permit is required for a replacement furnace.If one is required and one wasnt pulled that co. is in trouble and will likely be fined. However before you make the decision to inform the city about having them do work without a permit let the co. know that you know they should have pulled a permit and use that as leverage to get them out there and make things right.I hope this makes sense if you decide that you dont want to pursue getting them in trouble with the locals, find out the cost of the required permit and ask the company to reimburse you for it.
of course ignore all of this if they did in fact pull the required permit

on a side note if it turns out to be a dirty coil that should have been done when the furnace was replaced its very easy to get to with the old furnace out

Last edited by kennzz05; 01-12-2010 at 01:20 AM.
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:34 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Shutting down on high limit is not good for it. And not normal operation.
A dirty evap coil can cause this. Is the new furnace the same size as the old one was. Newer furnaces need to move more air then the old ones did.

Keep calling that company. Hopefully. You get a tech that actually likes to fix things.

Also. Noise from the blower can be from it trying to move more air then your duct work can handle.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #9

Tech was back again today - no solution. Got my gas bill yesterday and I had used 225 gallons of propane in 1 month. This is double my usual usage. Found out about the coil. It is the old coil but it was cleaned and in good condition. Tech says it's running too hot in second stage but has no idea why? Anybody have any ideas?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #10

and oh yes. It ran fine last year with same air/same vents.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Did he check the manifold pressure when its in second stage? If so, did he say what it was.
Did he check the static pressure to see if its your return or supply that is restricting air flow.

Its also possible that last year. the blower was moving just enough air that the limit wasn't tripping. But weakened the limit that it now trips early.

Did the tech check the temp rise through the furnace? If so, what was it.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennzz05 View Post
call in another reputable co. to inspect the installation. or call the local city inspector to inspect the job.There should have been a permit pulled for this work to be done.

let me try again sorry im tired, first was there a permit? did a city or county inspector come out and look at the job after completion?If not call your city and verify that weather or not a permit is required for a replacement furnace.If one is required and one wasnt pulled that co. is in trouble and will likely be fined. However before you make the decision to inform the city about having them do work without a permit let the co. know that you know they should have pulled a permit and use that as leverage to get them out there and make things right.I hope this makes sense if you decide that you dont want to pursue getting them in trouble with the locals, find out the cost of the required permit and ask the company to reimburse you for it.
of course ignore all of this if they did in fact pull the required permit

on a side note if it turns out to be a dirty coil that should have been done when the furnace was replaced its very easy to get to with the old furnace out

Some, probably most States and cities do not require permits for replacement. Usually only the larger cities do this. As I recall Miami required this. Not sure about where I live now.
H. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by clseahorse View Post
Tech was back again today - no solution. Got my gas bill yesterday and I had used 225 gallons of propane in 1 month. This is double my usual usage. Found out about the coil. It is the old coil but it was cleaned and in good condition. Tech says it's running too hot in second stage but has no idea why? Anybody have any ideas?
A new building built on a military base I used to work at had a similar problem. As I recall it turned out to be a piece of duct insulation that had come loose and stuck on the filter or coil, not sure. But be sure there are no obstrucitons from debris left over from installation.
H. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Phillips View Post
A new building built on a military base I used to work at had a similar problem. As I recall it turned out to be a piece of duct insulation that had come loose and stuck on the filter or coil, not sure. But be sure there are no obstrucitons from debris left over from installation.
The furnace insulation can also come loosed and block the heat exchanger.

Checking static pressure reveals those kind of problems.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #15

This is the info the tech gave me:
1 stage-run 7 min G-pres 5 wc in 88 degress out 158 degrees 70 degree max
2nd stage - run 5 min 9 wc in 93 degrees out 172 degrees total 79 degrees max 70
That's all I know. They said they would get back to me..............