Furnace Shuts Down B4 Blower Motor Engages - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Furnace Shuts down B4 Blower motor engages

Hello,

Fighting issue withh RPJ 2 unit. Furnace turns on, lights up for 20-30 seconds, then shuts down right before the blower kicks in. Get 2 red flashing lights sometimes. Shut it off for a couple of minutes, and then 70% of the time it will run appropriately, and 30% of the time it will restart 2 or 3 times and will shut itself down until I restart the cycle. At least at 3:00 AM I'm able to restart the furnace eventually. I cleaned contacts, unplugged and replugged everything unpluggable. Do I need to call a contractor?

Kooks

Advertisement

Kooks from Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooks from Michigan View Post
Hello,

Fighting issue withh RPJ 2 unit. Furnace turns on, lights up for 20-30 seconds, then shuts down right before the blower kicks in. Get 2 red flashing lights sometimes. Shut it off for a couple of minutes, and then 70% of the time it will run appropriately, and 30% of the time it will restart 2 or 3 times and will shut itself down until I restart the cycle. At least at 3:00 AM I'm able to restart the furnace eventually. I cleaned contacts, unplugged and replugged everything unpluggable. Do I need to call a contractor?

Kooks

Why not check the manual and see what the two flashing lights mean?

Advertisement

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion! However, I do not have manual.
Kooks from Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #4

mine did similar thing, problem was faulty thermocoupler? there is a little ceramic/metal sensor thing in the path of the flame that heats up and tells the blower to kick on (in simple terms) open the front, look in front of the gas jets for this sensor. i removed it and heated it up with a propane torch when the furnace/gas kicked on...that thing was red hot and then the blower kicked on. i shut it down, let it cool off, and put it back together until morning (it was 10pm) and to my amazement the furance has worked properly since with no parts store trip! this is probably not the correct repair procedure, but it worked and was free...worth a shot! just like repairing an oxygen sensor on a car...just heat it up!
steve f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooks from Michigan View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! However, I do not have manual.

Go online...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #6

Please people, hire a licensed contractor to fix your furnaces. Not all of us are out there to rip you off. If some guy pulls up in a Pinto then maybe he's not the proper contractor for you. We know what we're doing and you shouldn't have your hands where they don't belong. We train for years to collect the knowledge to do our job well. You're not just paying us for the work we do but the knowledge we have to do the work "PROPERLY". Stop being cheap and hire a technician. I know, some people just don't get it. My own father calls me with a heater problem so I can diagnose it and has me get the part so he can fix it himself. I don't charge my father. Sometimes DIYer's drive me crazy.

Advertisement

Don Richey is offline   Reply With Quote