Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

Share |

Furnace room Vent with fan

I have a vent in my furnace room about 3".
During the summer it's really hot in there. I was thinking of putting o fan inside the vent. I thought about wiring it so that it goes on at the same time the furnace fan goes on but I only need it during the summer. I also thought about getting a 110v fan and plugging it into a timer that I can set to turn on a few times a day. I also thought of putting a thermostat of some kind in the room and wiring it to the fan, but I am not sure what kind of thermostat to get.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I could do?
grod777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
how

A bunch of questions come up with this one.
What type of gas equipment is in your furnace room? Gas hot water tank, standard/mid or high efficiency furnace? How is that equipment now being vented. Is it powered or atmospheric? Is that small 3" vent going to the outside? How is the fresh air now getting to the gas appliances? Is the furnace room sealed or do you have vents to allow air from the house into the furnace room.
There are simple bi-metal fan controls that will temp operate an exhaust fan but I think anyone here would ask for a lot more info to know that its instalation wouldn't also hurt you or the gas equipment with your furnace room set up.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
A bunch of questions come up with this one.
What type of gas equipment is in your furnace room? Gas hot water tank, standard/mid or high efficiency furnace? How is that equipment now being vented. Is it powered or atmospheric? Is that small 3" vent going to the outside? How is the fresh air now getting to the gas appliances? Is the furnace room sealed or do you have vents to allow air from the house into the furnace room.
There are simple bi-metal fan controls that will temp operate an exhaust fan but I think anyone here would ask for a lot more info to know that its instalation wouldn't also hurt you or the gas equipment with your furnace room set up.

It is a electric powered, gas, forced air furnace with a coil installed 2 years ago,not sure on efficiency but I would guess it's very efficient being that it's 2 years old. I also have a new gas hot water heater that was just installed in the same room.
The flue pipes for both are vented outside.
There are 2 fresh air vents in the room that vent outside. The room is closed off with a door.
Let me know if that enough info.
grod777 is offline   Reply With Quote