Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #121
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 447
Share |
Default

Furnace repair costs


Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
Many posters are making the same mistake by insinuating that “low-ballers” are always of inferior quality. Have you considered they may just give good value? Personally I have found that companies I find on CraigsList are a far better deal than those highly rated on Angie’s List. The AL guys get big egos and charge big bucks while the CL people are more reasonable.
Just like YOU are making the mistake that Craigslist isn't filled with unemployable hacks, out on their own looking for a quick buck because nobody will employ them. Nobody here is saying EVERYBODY with a higher price is perfect, and EVERYBODY on Craigslist is a retarded imbecile. The OP needed somebody right away, and did not have time to comparison shop. Apparently, the OP feels that the mere fact that there is someone else out there who would have done the same job cheaper means that contractor is automatically a ripoff. That's not true either. More than most likely, a cheaper contractor saves money by not stocking parts. You do realize time was of the essence in this matter?
[/QUOTE]

In the end price is subjective. I get the impression you would support ANY price a contractor charges. What if he demanded $1000.00, or $2000.00? Where is your point of objection? Another poster erroneously disagreed with me, but like it or not it is indeed the MARKET which determines price. [/QUOTE]

More accurately, the market determines price RANGES. Quite frankly, the OP thinks all contractors should come in at the exact same price, and whoever is higher is a crook. And that's just not the case.
Quote:

I will never use this company again and any landlord or homeowner I talk to probably will not either.
That's probably OK. Because if everyone was like you, and "spread the word, "this contractor wouldn't exist for you to hire him. In effect you're helping him.
Quote:

Eventually they will get the word that taking advantage of a situation is not fair.
They can and do resist every effort by people to force them all to outbid each other to the point of not making any money, and that just isn't going to happen. If I quote a job and I'm told they have a lower quote - I tell them well if all that matters to you is price, then I'm not your guy. Some people do what I do so they can eat hotdogs for dinner. Sorry, I want lobster. A lot of HO's and landlords and other business owners think contractors should work for an hourly wage - you don't get that unless your offering full time employment.

IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #122
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 447
Default

Furnace repair costs


Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post

I own 12 houses and I am aggressively buying more. Some of the new houses have broken furnaces, and some have no furnaces at all. I could be a source of a lot of business for a smart contractor. I noticed many of you automatically took the side of the contractor. No one really told me at what point they would admit I was over charged. Is it $1,000, $2,000, $4000? Is the sky the limit?
You remind me of the phrase "I have a lot of work for you if you give me a good price." If you're this deep into the real estate business, I find it incredible you don't already have a heating contractor on contract already. And quite honestly, anyone making a good living owning and renting multiple homes wouldn't be *****ing online about a couple hundred bucks. You'd simply move on, and chalk it up to lesson learned, "Jims" prices are too high, I'll go with "Joe" instead.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IslandGuy For This Useful Post:
ahrens (02-16-2014), HVAC1000 (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #123
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 126
Default

Furnace repair costs


Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGuy
You remind me of the phrase "I have a lot of work for you if you give me a good price." If you're this deep into the real estate business, I find it incredible you don't already have a heating contractor on contract already. And quite honestly, anyone making a good living owning and renting multiple homes wouldn't be *****ing online about a couple hundred bucks. You'd simply move on, and chalk it up to lesson learned, "Jims" prices are too high, I'll go with "Joe" instead.
Quoted for truth
ahrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #124
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 8,995
Default

Furnace repair costs


Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post

I own 12 houses and I am aggressively buying more. Some of the new houses have broken furnaces, and some have no furnaces at all. I could be a source of a lot of business for a smart contractor. I noticed many of you automatically took the side of the contractor. No one really told me at what point they would admit I was over charged.(That will NEVER happen here so stop wasting your time) Is it $1,000, $2,000, $4000? Is the sky the limit?

Those twelve houses and the junkers with no furnaces etc sound like dives/dumps and I doubt any contractor here would be interested in that kind of work. In my experience that end of the market goes to the low ballers so you need to find one to hang onto.
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #125
how
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,489
Default

Furnace repair costs


12 homes and doesn't have an HVAC tech to call ????

Hhmmmm I wonder why?

troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #126
Member
 
Jay123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North of Atlanta
Posts: 621
Default

Furnace repair costs


Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGuy View Post
You remind me of the phrase "I have a lot of work for you if you give me a good price." If you're this deep into the real estate business, I find it incredible you don't already have a heating contractor on contract already. And quite honestly, anyone making a good living owning and renting multiple homes wouldn't be *****ing online about a couple hundred bucks. You'd simply move on, and chalk it up to lesson learned, "Jims" prices are too high, I'll go with "Joe" instead.
Amen.

And for the op, since I'm not going to actually do the work either, I can do the job for half of what your other, lower-priced source has quoted you after the fact. They are just trying to rip you off.

Last edited by Jay123; 02-17-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #127
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 500
Default

Furnace repair costs


Perhaps this thread has run its course?
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Sanders For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #128
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 8,995
Default

Furnace repair costs


I doubt it. some people are OBSESSED with money (I am related to some and actually it is not an strange phenomena). Causes them a lot of stress and they don't really put it to good use or enjoy it. Personally I use it as a tool to get from A to B and not worship. Sounds like someone we know has a fixation on $$ and to feel better about not getting the best deal all the time. Like Don Henley said " You don't see hearses with luggage racks".
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".

Last edited by yuri; 02-17-2014 at 11:15 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (02-18-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #129
HVAC Tech/Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 435
Default

Furnace repair costs


This thread reminds me of this:

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money – that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

Especially applicable to this trade. Its the reason people can't get a decent system installed in their new homes or "mouth drops open" at the cost of ripping the crap out and starting over. (would have been much cheaper to get it done right the first time)

Last edited by Technow; 02-17-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Technow For This Useful Post:
47_47 (02-18-2014), IslandGuy (02-17-2014), Patrick Eubanks (02-18-2014), yuri (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #130
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 8,995
Default

Furnace repair costs


Reminds me of working in the north end of Wpg where there were a lot of old immigrants from Germany, Poland, Ukraine etc. One old guy told me " when you buy something buy a GOOD one" not the most expensive or pretty but good. They were wise as they worked HARD for their $$. Just like hiring a doctor or lawyer. You want the one that graduated at the top of his class with a 4.0 average not the cheap bum from the bottom do you?
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #131
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 500
Default

Furnace repair costs


Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
some people are OBSESSED with money .
You're not? So why do you scoff when someone expects a deal out of you?

Come on.... everybody is.
How many times have you taken your car in for service and almost puked when you saw the bill? That's never happened to you before? You just pay without question what ever is on the final line?

Contractors/service people are going to charge as much as they possibly can and customers are always going to want a dollar's worth of work for 50 cents. It's the very nature of business.

The OP is not a monster but rather an angry customer venting because he figures he paid too much (and personally speaking I'm in agreement. I wouldn't have paid a dime over $500). But the point is that he's a consumer who feels he has been cheated. Something I'm 100% sure we ALL have felt sometime in the past at one time or another He does not relate to your side of the argument and never will because he's a mere consumer, and the reverse is true for you because you are a contractor trying to put bread on the table in the easiest way you can.

Now... what more is there to say here?
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #132
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 8,995
Default

Furnace repair costs


Nothing Bob

This thread should have been stopped in the beginning with this

"How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

However I do ask and get the price from CTire or Ford B4 authorising any repair so there is no puking. Threads like this are liking listening to CJOB and the action line. A whole lot of pointless cr*ap IMO as the caller just wants to vent and like CJOB it just creates drama and sells whatever the station wants. Just gets people riled up for no reason. I don't believe his reliable sources as everyone lies and slams the competition. If someone called my company and asked if I thought my competitor ripped him off of course I would agree. We are not in this together to be friends just to make $$. 35 yrs ago it was not as bad but now it is a dog eat dog ruthless greasy biz. Freedom 55 is real close. At least we are getting some nice weather now. Hopefully all this snow does not melt at once or we will have major flooding this year.

Have a nice day
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".

Last edited by yuri; 02-18-2014 at 08:25 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #133
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 500
Default

Furnace repair costs


Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Threads like this are liking listening to CJOB and the action line.
LOL!
Yeah... I don't know what's worse, death or a morning with CJOB and Charles Adler!

Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Natural Gas Cost For Furnace 1 Hour Run Time hammerlane HVAC 15 11-11-2013 10:34 AM
Lennox Furnace G27M Series Unreliable operation: pressure switch or else? sheppard1977 HVAC 7 01-14-2013 05:42 PM
Water Inside/Around American Standard Furnace michrob HVAC 8 12-08-2011 03:51 PM
Problems with new furnace..Overheating, having to reset. Furnace too big? Tommy2 HVAC 41 12-01-2008 01:55 PM
New Cased Coil - Install to Furnace - PICTURES!! hartkem HVAC 39 11-18-2008 01:45 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.