Furnace Recommendation - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Furnace Recommendation

I need to replace my Lennox G26 furnace after blowing thru my second heat exchanger.

Anyone have any favorites? I think important factors to me would be warranty, and heat exchanger design. For example does one brand have a thicker walled exchanger, less prone to cracking, or perhaps one stainless steel that wouldn't rust??

Advertisement

edfiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,122

Furnace Recommendation

Not familiar with that specific furnace, but if you've blown through 2 heat exchangers you might want to look at your ductwork for low airflow or the furnace for excessive sizing.

Advertisement

roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 442

Furnace Recommendation

Correct installation can make almost any furnace a great furnace. First thing to make sure of is that the reason for the failure of your first two heat exchangers is corrected, unless it was a design defect of the product itself. I'm not familiar with the G26's.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:39 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 8,534

Furnace Recommendation

Get a properly sized furnace. Yours may be over sized for your home and the duct system.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #5

Furnace Recommendation

House is 2200 sq ft.
Furnace is 75,000 BTU.

I've thought the air flow from the vents was a little weak, but perhaps this is just from using high efficiencey filters. I guess they have to restrict the air flow. Maybe going back to the 2 buck filters would help.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 1,444

Furnace Recommendation

VERY rare to have heat ex failures on them and I see thousands of them and sell Lennox. If it is overheating and cycling on the limit control then any heat ex will fail. The burner gas pressure may be too high along with poor airflow. Need to find out why it is overheating. I would not use any filter higher than Merv 7 or 8 with that furnace. AC coil needs checking for dirt and temp rise thru the furnace also.

There was a factory recall or issue with a few of them where the burner manifold was not welded 100% straight and there was flame impingement on the right burner and it hit the side of the exchanger and caused failures. Lennox had a service bulletin and gave you a new manifold. Dealer needs to check that.

Last edited by yuri; 02-24-2015 at 08:26 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 322

Furnace Recommendation

Installed hundreds of those units back about 20 years ago. Seemed to be a really good model overall. Where do you live?

Just came across a Canadian made gas furnace last spring that uses a stainless primary and secondary on their high end product line. Perhaps other manufacturers out there are doing similar.

Anyone else know of anyone using a stainless primary?
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #8

Furnace Recommendation

Looks like Thermo Pride and Amana have Stainless Steel heat exchangers. They appear to offer 20 year or Life Time Warrany. Can't beat that.
At this point in my life 20 years and lifetime are probably about the same so I can't loose.

Advertisement