Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Furnace, Range Hood Share Chimney?

Hi all, I need to install a new range hood to replace the poorly installed non-working one. It's urgent for the winter as my housemate is Indian and only cooks Indian food and bacon (the latter being my contribution to help Americanize his tastes haha).

Currently a mish-mosh of dryer tubes, alum venting, and maybe even a spare muffler they found in the backyard are taped (or not) together leading to what can only be the main chimney which is used by both the furnace (Gas hw baseboard) and gas hot water boiler. Is it safe for the range hood to be sharing this chimney?

I can imagine it might be hazard if oil builds up and then a spark and propane light in there but I'd like a second opinion. If keeping this system is a no-no, can anyone recommend a good DIY site/resource for figuring out how put a vent in?

My kitchen setup has the stove in a island directly below the middle of a bedroom. I do have drop ceilings so would moving it to a window and having a insert at the top of the window, or drilling out to the exterior and venting out the side be a possibility? What's the reason that I see most recommend venting to the roof?

Also, how does the venting prevent oil buildup creating a fire hazard in the vents in any situation?

jamieofansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

No you can not vent the range hood with your gas fired appliances. Against codes and dangerous. As for venting it out a sidewall that should be OK. Follow the manufactures instructions as far as sizing and distance is concerned.

hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

M1502.1 General. Range hoods shall discharge to the out-doors through a single-wall duct. The duct serving the hood shall have a smooth interior surface, shall be air tight and shall be equipped with a backdraft damper...
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote