Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #1

Share |

furnace question

I have a 17 year old furnace maker is Rheem. I was told by Energy Management Consult from Direct Energy that heat exchanger could fail anytime and I could potentially left with no heat and could be safety issues (ie carbon leak. Last maintenance showed no issues with elevated CO levels and inspection of heat exchanger was o.k. Is this guy putting a sales pitch on me to upgrade as I have read about these? How much longer could I run on this furnace?

Thank you

BTW- I called Rheem and was told as long as have regular maintenance done I still have a few more years on this furnace.

Last edited by beenthere; 11-07-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Decreased font size to make it easier to read.
jazzybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #2

furnace question

well no one can really say how long your old furnace will last ...I agree as long as you have regular service and have working carbon monoxide detectors that is about all anyone can really do....oh and by the way we have installed new furnaces that failed within a few yrs....detectors kept them safe.......Ben

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
jazzybest (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

furnace question

Rheem has not had any issues with heat exchangers failing B4 20 yrs where I am so I would get it properly checked once a yr and try get 20 yrs out of it. After that it may nickel and dime you to death with repairs and intermittent problems.
jazzybest (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #4

furnace question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
well no one can really say how long your old furnace will last ...I agree as long as you have regular service and have working carbon monoxide detectors that is about all anyone can really do....oh and by the way we have installed new furnaces that failed within a few yrs....detectors kept them safe.......Ben
I was wondering if there are any safety switches that shut off the furnace if there is a leak
in the heat exchanger?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

furnace question

You have temperature limit and flame rollout switches that cut off a furnace in the event it gets too hot. With a significant crack in a heat exchanger the pressure switch should not close thus not allowing the furnace to light up.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
jazzybest (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
how

furnace question

Around here I often get folks being told that they have cracks in the exchanger by sales oriented gas fitters. When I get brought in to confirm and can't find a crack, not one guy has been willing to return to show me the crack so he can complete the sale. I guess I made a mistake is the ususal come back. Straight service call $89.00, furnace sale $3,900.00
Ask your neighbours how old their furnace is and who they get to service it. Pick a company that a neighbour is happy with who has an older furnace than you.

I don't know of any safety switches that will tell you of a heat exchanger crack beyond some flame spillage controls or pressure controls for inducer systems that can sometimes be tripped by a big crack.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
jazzybest (11-06-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #7

furnace question

To add to my initial post this Direct Energy so called Energy consultant guy had not even seen my furnace but was fast to made this comment with emphasis on carbon leak potential. I was considering upgrading due to the Eco rebates and he had a sure sale but not after i check internet.

Here is the info I found

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/879...e-is-shut-down
http://www.ellenroseman.com/?p=1076