Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Furnace PVC Blowing Hot Air

I just bought a house and have a Comfortmaker furnace. It has 2 pvc pipes exiting above the front panel. The one on the right leads to the drain, the one on the left is open ended and just blows hot air when the furnace runs. Can this be safely capped? Actually, is this even safe? The basement of this house is very hot. I'm sure that this open pvc pipe is not the only cause of that, but it is definitely a factor.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
- Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace PVC Blowing Hot Air-furnace_mystery_pvc_small.jpg  

stevezissou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

That open one is the overflow drain if the 1st one plugs up. Usually the only time they use it is if it is in an attic. Needs to be piped to the main drain to do any good. Will overflow into your furnace and damage it the way it is now. May need an open tee on the main one to allow it to siphon properly on some units if the air velocity thru the plenum is too high.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #3

Thank you so much for the quick response!

This furnace is in the basement right next to the drain and sump. I would love to just cap this pipe because of the high amount of hot air leaking. Is that possible? I could also run it to the drain, but it is wasting a lot of hot air. The main is draining properly as far as I can tell.

Any further info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Steve
Old 01-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

I would cap it but one thing you REALLY need to do is devise a way to disconnect the main line and clear that opening once a year with a shop vac and bottle brush or it will plug up and overflow water into your furnace and damage it. I will give you Yuri's cheap easy and cost effective red neck method (plumbers go away!!). Get a pvc coupling of same diameter. Cut pipe in middle. Unscrew drain line and clear it. Assemble pipes with coupling and NO glue. Use the 2nd best handymans secret weapon to seal the joints (they are under no pressure)
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace PVC Blowing Hot Air-elec-tape.jpg  
Old 01-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
BIGRED

And as such should need no sealant; except for vibration. If the pipe is really discharging that much heat into the basement, then electrical tape -as shown- will get all sticky and gooey and allow the pipe-coupling-pipe to wiggle apart. Good old DUCT TAPE is not going to let go of the pipe so readily.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #6

Awesome! Thank you so much for your input. The main line is easy to disconnect and clean out, so a yearly cleaning shouldn't be a problem. I've got quite a bit of red neck in me so your method is right up my alley.

Thanks again!
Steve