Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace pressure hose?

can anyone tell me if something like a bad pressure hose (old, possible crack at connection) should have been caught during a heating inspection. I had an inspection done and 2 weeks later needed an after hours service call to fix furnace and as far as I can tell ( I wasn't there ) the only thing done to fix problem was to cut off the end of the hose and reconnect it, i'm not an expert but I would think something as basic as hose condition should be part of a basic inspection. any respose is appreciated. SR

srapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

Furnace pressure hose?

Things can be missed during a routine inspection. Something like that, unless you are looking specifically for it can easily be missed. If the same company did the after hour, ask them if some form of credit can be applied to your account. The same stuff happens with cars, computers, homes, etc.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace pressure hose?

Thanks for the reply, yes I'v used the same company for a few years (it's a rental property so I'm not there often), no credit offered, the answer I got was the hose can go bad at anytime so at this point they have lost my future business. Thanks. SR
srapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Furnace pressure hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srapata View Post
Thanks for the reply, yes I'v used the same company for a few years (it's a rental property so I'm not there often), no credit offered, the answer I got was the hose can go bad at anytime so at this point they have lost my future business. Thanks. SR

I'm with you, their loss.

As previously stated, it can be missed but in all honesty it shouldn't. IF the vacuum produced by the draft inducer motor in that hose pulls the pressure switch closed at time of heating inspection than it could be all she wrote as it worked. Now if it was cracked then possibly the pressure switch would not close and you'd indefinitely not have heat, telling me something is wrong and to take a closer look.

I don't think they performed a heat inspection at all. Was anyone home at the time?
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

Furnace pressure hose?

It just happens. Do not place the blame on the company. It is possible that the tech may not have had his mind all together to go through it thoroughly (ie phone call at the time on their cell, or just the type that they rush through). My regular guy that does my plumbing stuff, I trust, but hvac guys with the company that installed our furnace, are just flaky and I no longer use that company.

What I do, is before heating season,, and about every six weeks, will pull the covers off and go through looking for stuff that may cause problems, like loose hoses or drying hoses. Same with my car. Hoses dry out on furnaces, due to heat and the by products that are created during the combustion process. Depending on how old the unit is, it should have a through PM about 8 to 10 years, so that you can make sure it will work like it is supposed to. Having it checked out thoroughly twice a year also helps.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 09-27-2011 at 08:11 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Furnace pressure hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
ZIt just happens. Do not place the blame on the company. It is possible that the tech may not have had his mind all tegether to go through it throughly (ie phone call at the time on their cell, or just the type that they rush through).

Who else do you place the blame on then, the person calling the guy? Turn your phone off or leave it in in the truck, simply don't answer it. Albeit it's not rocket science it's a heating inspection and if not done right people die so pay attention, no excuses.

Hell, the guy you are talking about would not have a job here in Houston, no exceptions. The blame certainly and indefinitely and squarely falls on them.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Furnace pressure hose?

Op, it does not help that you were not there at the time of supposed inspection. This just adds to the confusion.

From here on in make the time to be there.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 280

Furnace pressure hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
I'm with you, their loss.

As previously stated, it can be missed but in all honesty it shouldn't. IF the vacuum produced by the draft inducer motor in that hose pulls the pressure switch closed at time of heating inspection than it could be all she wrote as it worked. Now if it was cracked then possibly the pressure switch would not close and you'd indefinitely not have heat, telling me something is wrong and to take a closer look.

I don't think they performed a heat inspection at all. Was anyone home at the time?

How do you determine these conclusions?

Most furnaces the hoses are on the backside of the sensor.....and if it closed as normal during the inspection, I am not going to pull the hoses off.

Unsubstantiated statements like you made give our industry a bad name.....think about it.....This thread could have EASILY been "my contractor wanted me to replace the vacuum hoses on my furnace, I don't see how they could go bad...."

Then everyone would jump on the bandwagon and say they don't need to be replaced....like you can see them from the PC
Technow is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Technow For This Useful Post:
Marty S. (09-27-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Furnace pressure hose?

So what if this was the guys radiator hose, and he got stranded in the wilderness?

You pay for preventive maintenance to find issues that will cause failures. The OP was visited by another hack with a bag of tools.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
HVAC Tech/Owner

Furnace pressure hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Cold View Post
So what if this was the guys radiator hose, and he got stranded in the wilderness?

You pay for preventive maintenance to find issues that will cause failures. The OP was visited by another hack with a bag of tools.
Yeah that happened to me once.....could never figure out where that little hole in the top radiator hose came from.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
HVAC Tech/Owner

Furnace pressure hose?

OP....was it working the last 2 weeks?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Furnace pressure hose?

Had a hose crack on me yesterday after checking the vacuum port on the inducer. Furnace worked fine until the dust rag bumped it on final clean up.

srapata, this is a DIY forum. Please feel free to ask diagnostic questions next time and we'll do all we can to help. Telling another company what to charge,or not charge, on an after hours call is not part of the deal though.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

Furnace pressure hose?

I don't see how you people can throw a fellow tech under the bus by listening to one side of a story and not knowing all of the facts.
It sounds like the furnace worked during the inspection. How was he to know a hose was going to supposedly go bad and why should he "give a deal" for something that worked at the time of inspection?
Pretty harsh judgements from sitting in front of a computer.
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #14
I'm Your Huckleberry

Furnace pressure hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technow View Post
How do you determine these conclusions?

Most furnaces the hoses are on the backside of the sensor.....and if it closed as normal during the inspection, I am not going to pull the hoses off.

Unsubstantiated statements like you made give our industry a bad name.....think about it.....This thread could have EASILY been "my contractor wanted me to replace the vacuum hoses on my furnace, I don't see how they could go bad...."

Then everyone would jump on the bandwagon and say they don't need to be replaced....like you can see them from the PC

I can come to that conclusion very EASILY and without hesitiation seeing as how the thread is actually titled "Furnace Pressure Hose" concerning the system not working as well as since no one was home at the time of the supposed service. For that matter this thread could've been titled "Little Pink Kittens".

No, don't going trying to throw me under the bus, bub. You and I and the guy in question are not one and the same.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #15
I'm Your Huckleberry

Furnace pressure hose?

And I don't know what furnaces you work on but every single one I've ever worked on all you need to do is remove the service door and everything is right up front and center.