Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace placement?

I bought my house twenty plus years ago.It is a ranch style with a crawlspace where the ductwork for the gas furnance is.I had the furnance (with air) put in when bought.It had space heaters. When the furnance was put in the heating and air company said the furnance had to go in the middle of the house, in my small kitchen.Now that the kids are out of the house I want to remodel.Can the furnance be moved. Either on the main duct or "T" in to the main duct.Is there a formula to how to set-up the ducts. It is not a question can I do it but how to do it.The furnance and air was replced five years ago.Thanks for all your help even coments why not to.I hope they don't exist.Thank Ken.

papawfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

Furnace placement?

Probably going to either have to post pics. or a drawing of your current set up. And of where you want to move the furnace to.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Furnace placement?

It can be moved. Sizing and deciding if moving the whole trunk or transitioning to the new location is a better option should be talked about with a HVAC contractor who will visit the site.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #4

Furnace placement?

I believe the main duct is 12x24 and 20ft long with round duct to the registers. The duct starts 10 ft in on both ends the house is 24x40. The main duct is centered under the house. The rooms on on side are 13 1/2 and on the other it is 11 ft. So I know it crazy but when I say the duct is centered it really is as close as could be. I would have a HAVC person do it but I'm afraid of the price my new 95% and 3 ton installed was $1700 Yes $1700 and at the time I couldn't have it moved.( Kids at home).The man is now retired. Better than the one put in tweny years ago the the electronics went out after two months aand HVAC company tried to charge $500 to fix a $5500 install.I would like to move the furnance to one end of the main duct insted of the center.I live in a small town in Southern Illinois Thanks again Ken.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,034

Furnace placement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawfalcon View Post
...When the furnance was put in the heating and air company said the furnace (edit: should) go in the middle of the house to make the distribution duct simplest and not waste room space on an exterior wall

Now that the kids are out of the house I want to remodel.
Can the furnace be moved.
Of course it can. But don't count on reusing much of the existing ductwork when you do that and of course plan to re-do all the supply piping and flues etc as well.
In short... with enough money spent anything can be done.

In another 15-20 years when your new furnace needs to be replaced and the ductwork is approaching 40 years old... it might even approach being worth doing all that extra work.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #6

Furnace placement?

Ok, I know every part of the country is different. Is there a ballpark figure that can be "not' said to put in new duct to move the existing furnance.Or is this where most of the expense is in labor to put in duct work. Thanks again Ken.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Furnace placement?

WAG site unseen... two guys four days.Around here you would be close to $5000 and that's reusing the furnace. Takes a lot of labor to tear out and rebuild all the duct in a crawl space.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,208

Furnace placement?

Do you still have access to the blueprints, when the house was built? It would show the orig. routing of the hvac on those drawings. If not, you can draw up a quick floor plan, make a few copies, so that you have them for the remodel. One for electric, one for any plumbing changes, and the one for hvac.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Furnace placement?

I suspect the ducts are the simple part of your problem.

If you look around you will find spreadsheets and other info that will show you how to calculate the air flow and the duct sizes. You need to like math but it is not all that hard. Once you figure it out it is a nasty job to run the ducts in dirty tight places but is a do it yourself thing for someone handy.

Moving the furnace itself is another story. First you may not be allowed to depending on where you live, lot of strange laws related to licenses. From your description you have gas so you have a gas supply line, supply combustion air and exhaust air to deal with. Then you have the AC part. You have the freon lines to move, although you can move the copper lines themselves you need a license to get the gas to refil them. You also have plumbing required to drain the condensation. Then you have electrical for the blower as well as the wiring between the outdoor ac and your thermostats.

So the ducts are the "easy" part.

just a note, most times they recommend central location because its easier to design the ducts. You end having to install a fan strong enough to force air to the far end but still not send too much air out the vent near the air handler.

Last edited by bill01; 06-27-2012 at 09:09 AM.
bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #10

Furnace placement?

Thanks guys. My house is over hundred years old. There is no blueprints or any paperwork.I guess i'l try to find somone who can look at it. I thought if I moved the furnance ten feet to the end of the main duct, Maybe all I needed was to send less air to that end. I guess somethings are easier said than done.Thanks again Ken.