Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Furnace only works with door off

I have a Governaire standard efficiency furnace. The furnace has been cycling every three minutes or so. I noticed that the furnace runs fine with the burner access door off. If i slowly start to put it back on, I can feel a lot of suction and I can see the flame blow out. It seems like the sensors and switches work okay and the furnace is shutting down (correctly) because the flame sensor cannot detect a flame.

Any ideas about what the problem is and how to fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

BERVIN 306 - I think you are on the right track. There is no intake pipe. The furnace is in a crawlspace and there is plenty of ventilation, but I think there may be a restriction in the flue causing a pressure drop. I think the inducer fan can produce enough static pressure to overcome the restriction, but not with extra restriction of the access door.

Last edited by CWinGA; 12-05-2009 at 07:03 PM.
CWinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #2

Without looking at it I can't be positive, but anyway you look at it you probably need a professional. If the flame is being Blown out by the blower coming on you might have a cracked heat exchange. This is very dangerous. Meaning turn it off until it's repaired. Another possibility could be a partially clogged flue. First thing I would do is check your filter. Next I would call a Pro.

Last edited by mercdady; 12-05-2009 at 01:52 PM.
mercdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #3

Sounds like a crack has turned into a massive hole. Shut it off and call a pro.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #4

Your fresh air intake pipe is most likly clogged. You need air to make fire. That's why it works with the door off. Check your intake pipe there should be a screen right before it goes into the burner box, see if you see any leaves. Also check the outside make sure it is clear. if all else fails blow out the pipe.
bervin306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, draft, furnace