Furnace Not Vented To The Outside - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace not vented to the outside

Hi,
New to the forum and really need help as I'm not a great DIY house guy. I currently have an issue I'm trying to figure out. I had a heating furnace installed in May of 2005 up in my attic. Real nice installer and company (I thought). I ordered a Byrant Plus 80% furnace. Seemed like a good fit. After they install they gave me all the info and left. I never felt the need to go up to the attic to check their work.

Anyway, Last week I needed to go up to the attic because I was installing a lighting fixture. I checked out the furnace and noticed that it was not vented to the outside. The exhaust pipe come out right in the attic. The chimney is only about 1-2 feet away. I don't get it. I'm really upset and wonder what impact this has had on my families health. I immediately bought carbon monoxide detectors (so far no problems). I'm in the process of contacting the installer but any advice would be greatly appreciated...how bad is this type of situation?

Thanks,

Marco

Advertisement

marco1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

I am no heating expert, but I used to work for one where I was the serviceman for oil fired forced hot air units. I know that when fossile fule is burned it emits CARBON MONOXIDE. This is very dangerouse as it is both oderless and tasteless. As you breath it in the carbon monoxide particals attatch themselves to the red blood cells. This hinders the transfer of oxygen from our lungs to the blood cells. If you seem to get real tired during the winter when the heat is on, then when you go out doors you seem to be really perky this is bacause of the carbon monoxide. PLEASE have it looked at ASAP!!
ALSO use someone who did not install it come and look at it. Take pictures, have new person write up what was wrong and why. Then I would contact them and ask them if they want to look at it. If they do and say its ok (They wont repair) see a lawyer.

Advertisement

Last edited by USP45; 01-04-2008 at 11:09 AM.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,274

It's not good. Call the Installer - I can't imagine they would not fix this for you. It sounds like maybe they had a brain fart and just plain forgot to hook it up.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Building and plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
It's not good. Call the Installer - I can't imagine they would not fix this for you. It sounds like maybe they had a brain fart and just plain forgot to hook it up.
Ditto, but not brainfart, sheer stupidity.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #5

btw..this is a gas furnace..not oil
Old 01-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Building and plumbing

Gas? Ok, may be ok in a carbon monoxide perspective. Still, see what a pro on gas has to say. As far as it goes even if it is said that its ok to vent gas into the attic I as a carpenter would be worried about moisture. You are dumping hot exhaust into a cold attic. This may cause condensation on the bottom of the roof sheathing, thus leading to mold and or rot. Personally I think it should be vented out doors. I have heard that you do have restrictions on your chimney. I dont know how many, or what mix of exhaust you can dump into it. I have seen where someone has a chimney for burning wood and had to have a second one for oil heat because the code said the 2 could not go together in the same chimney for some reason. Lets see what the pros have to say as I too am interested.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #7

one other thought...I had the house fumigated for termites later in the year (2005) after the furnace was installed. That would be the only other people that might have been in the attic. I wonder if they removed the pipe(s) for the venting..just a theory..anyway I did contact the originally installer and he is coming over here right now.

thanks for all the help/suggestions..I just wonder what type of impact this has been on my families health? I have felt groggy in the morning with the heat on..not sure if that is a effect of this...I'm monitoring CO by my bed and don't see anything..

Marco

p.s. btw..I have noticed for some time "dripping/drops" above my bathroom..I wonder if this is the problem..
Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

If the gas company ever cuts off the gas to your house / neighborhood for what ever reason, I don't think they will restore your gas service with your furnace not vented properly. This happend to me with an unvented gas water heater, this promped me to quickly install a proper vent.
jrepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #9

I'm really interested now in the health risks...we have had symptoms like headaches..groggy, memory loss..my wife and I have thought it was mainly the signs of old age (we are in our early 50's) and I don't want to jump to conclusions so I'm trying to find out what is the impact of having this condition for the last 2 years. We don't run the furnace during the summer but its on all the time during the winter
Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Building and plumbing

I'm really interested now in the health risks...we have had symptoms like headaches..groggy, memory loss..my wife and I have thought it was mainly the signs of old age (we are in our early 50's) and I don't want to jump to conclusions so I'm trying to find out what is the impact of having this condition for the last 2 years. We don't run the furnace during the summer but its on all the time during the winter

These symtoms may be from long term exposure to CM. Seek professional medical advice.

Last edited by USP45; 01-04-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Lucky for you, CO exposure is reversible. When you're removed from the CO environment, Oxygen will slowly replace all the CO molecules that are stuck in your hemoglobin.

However, if you're not getting any readings on a digital CO monitor in the house now with the furnace running, I'd guess that your grogginess is coffee related, not carbon monoxide related.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #12

ok the installer was just here and fixed the problem. He is very prompt..the problem was that the chimney was pushed down..He went up and fixed that and re-piped everything. He said he really could not tell whether the problem was his or the termite guys. He was very honest.

He mentioned that at least the attic was very well vented but this should have never happened. He said that he does get calls all the time after termite tenting where the chimney is pushed down and actually "stops" the operation of the furnance. In this case the actual pipe was not on so he honestly said he had no idea how it happened. He did not charge me and was very honest about it.

Now I'm researching if there are possible health problems associated with this as it was like this for a very long time. If my wife's headaches go away we know there was a problem...geez I have be learn to be more vigilant!

Marco
Old 01-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #13
Union HVAC Tech.

Rewards Points: 500

You do realize that this could have killed your whole family? The problem was caused by the installer. If it was double wall pipe (B vent) it should have had hangers on it to hold the pipe securly in place. If it was single wall, it should have had three screws in each joint to secure it. I would make an appointment with a lawyer and see what he has to say as far as medical test costs and the rest of the associated issues. YOU ARE VERY LUCKY.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #14

I understand this and am taking appropriate action...thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #15
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

Was the system inspected after the install? I can't see how they could have missed this. Was you installer licenced?

Advertisement

hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote