Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Furnace is making noise when the burner comes on

So I haven't looked at the furnace much yet, but it seems clear that it's the blower for the burner exhaust, not the blower for the house, because after the burner shuts off but the house air is still blowing, the noise has stopped. Sounds like a bearing.

In general, is this a job that can be done DIY?

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Ayuh,... Pretty tough question, without knowin' What's being worked on, 'n how Handy ya are...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #3

free spin it in both direction any grinding...spritz some WD40 down the shaft make sure the squirrel cage didn't shift over and rubbing....easy change out it's not brain surgery.....save your money for other thngs....most want to sell the entire fan motor assembly due to the nuts and screws being rusted so that does pay....http://www.bestbuyheatingandaircondi...ode=fasco-indb
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
So I haven't looked at the furnace much yet, but it seems clear that it's the blower for the burner exhaust, not the blower for the house, because after the burner shuts off but the house air is still blowing, the noise has stopped. Sounds like a bearing.

make of furnace and a pitcure wold be helpful,,
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post

As a general statement, combustion motors are fairly straight forward, but a few can be complicated. for the most part its putting it back on in reverse of how you took it off, making sure to use the proper gaskets and clean as much as you can while its apart.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
I ask the impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
make of furnace and a pitcure wold be helpful,,
Comfortmaker. I'm attaching a pic and I uploaded a video to Youtube so you can hear the noise.

http://youtu.be/6pLJk9lGKI0
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace is making noise when the burner comes on-noisy-furnace.jpg  
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 70

those are fairly easy to change for a DIYer. B4 doing so remove the vent pipe where it attaches to the ventor fan and check for dead bird(s) in there. It happens occasionally. On yours you may have to remove the whole ventor fan to check inside for them and then you need a new gasket which you don't have.

americanhvacparts. for the ventor
Old 01-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
I ask the impossible!

Okay, now the vent motor will not start when the furnace attempts to start. I can get it to start manually by hand spinning.

I'm intending to take it out and see if there's anything I can clean up and/or lubricate so I don't have to make an after-hours emergency call. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I am suspecting that I'll need to replace the motor one way or another.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #9

yes yuri took the words out of my mouth...take off flue check for dead birds seen this way to often.....good call yuri....ben
Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
I ask the impossible!

I can do that, but I'm skeptical. The exhaust pipe has an 8' horizontal run then a u-turn before it gets into the furnace.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #11

try to take just to 90 degree ell right at furnace.....yes after listening again to motor noise....sounds like bad motor.....
Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
I ask the impossible!

So after spraying one side of the shaft I could access while it was installed with WD40 there was no difference. I pulled the motor and blower, confirmed no foreign objects. I could see the other side of the motor shaft at this point and I could see it was dirty. Spraying that with WD40 made the motor noticeably free-er to spin, I put it back on and the furnace is running.

I had reached a furnace guy from a reputable company, but they carry Bryant so he wouldn't have parts available until tommorrow. After much searching I found a company I was able to reach that services Comfortmaker, they have 6 jobs ahead of me and estimate arriving 4 AM to 6 AM. I'm planning to not cancel the appointment at this time, the gasket was damaged and I wasn't able to secure the vent pipe as well as it was.

I have my CO2 detector on with new batteries, so I'll sleep warm and get this fixed more thoroughly in the AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
I ask the impossible!

Noise is back as of the last hour or so, so I'm suspecting I'll need to replace the motor. The furnace guy that had come out was here at 9:30 AM, so I had him tighten the vent pipe back to the motor (I only was spending minimal time on this, I've got a stomach flu on top of this) so he charged a service call but said if I need a motor within 30 days, he'd come out and not charge another service call.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
I ask the impossible!

The link above doesn't have my model number but I found it here:
http://www.expertappliance.com/partfinder.php

My model number is N8MPN07581281. $482.33 at the link I have, my furnace guy wants to charge $499. Anyone got any links where I can improve on the price?

Edit: After visiting gocomfortmaker.com I think the model number might be N8MPN075B12B1 and I found this on the link above at $339.90

http://www.bestbuyheatingandaircondi...t_Code=MOT170A

Last edited by WillK; 01-04-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
I ask the impossible!

Further improving on the price, we found that there seems to be an interchange with ICP (now renamed as International Comfort Products, formerly Intercity Products and the parent company of Comfortmaker among others) part number A170. Sears sells it as a pass-through type deal, but when we went to the place Sears sells from (CSH Incorporated), we bought it at $200 including ground shipping, and since the distributor is in Owosso ground shipping by UPS should get it here tomorrow.

So this is a Fasco direct replacement for ICP part number A170. If there's any reason to expect this not to work let me know, but otherwise I guess I'll report on whether it works when I get it.