DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Furnace making noise

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rakes9720 
#1 ·
Whirlpool combo furnace and central air unit makes a very loud noise like someone is punching the duct on startup.

#3 ·
ok the sound isnt just on startup and the sound isnt like someone punching the duct it sounds like when you go to light a grill with a match and it has a little to much gas and the flames blow out the side. The noise is louder but similar to that. Sometimes the noise is so loud it sounds like something big hit the building

#4 ·
I can't offer any suggestions as to what it is, but mine does a similar thing. Usually right before the heat kicks on I hear a thud as if, like you said, someone had hit the ductwork. Not sure what it is, but I've had several work done and no one has mentioned any problem, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

#5 ·
I found this on a different website....maybe will help???

I have found that in a lot of these cases the ductwork does not have
enough hangers on each section of duct. If your ductwork is 5' to 8'
long sections make sure there are "4 hangers" (2 on each side) spaced
evenly on the ductwork. Also the hangers are usually attached to the
floor joists. Make sure they are nailed or screwed firmly. Make sure
"each hanger" has 2 screws attaching it to the ductwork.

I have gone in houses and just added hangers, and screws to the hangers
and that usually fixed the problem. [/I]

#6 ·
Hi munn

If the heater has not been serviced in a while have someone come do this as soon as you can. Have them check for a cracked heat exchanger. It could be just the burners are dirty and in need of a good cleaning. The burners could be misaligned, or the heat exchanger is sooted up. Anyway have it proffesionally looked at to make sure you don't have any major problems.

Good luck
Rusty

#7 ·
Make sure that when the burners are on, they are smooth, and there is a clear flame between each burner. This is what "passes the flame" between burners. If these "carry overs" are blocked, one burner may light, and gas build up in the others. Eventually, the bulit up gas lights, and it makes a mini explosion, which can destroy heat exchangers, as Carrierman stated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.