Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #1

Share |

Furnace intake noise question

The lower level of my house (below grade) has 3 rooms: a family room with a fireplace, a home office and the boiler room. I recently put in the office and got rid of a slotted door that was in there and replaced it with a solid door, but also added 2 vents in the family room so the furnace could pull air from somewhere. When I am watching tv in the family room and the heat/AC goes on, it gets very loud. I tried putting in a bigger register to 20x20 and tried sound insulation in the inside of the duct, but it is still the same. I laid a piece of drywall up against the intake and the noise was gone. The intake currently takes air from the family room then it goes through a filter system and into the furnace. The furnace in the boiler room is about 4 feet from the family room wall so I would like to know if I could cut the ductwork back then put a 20x20 register on the ductwork in the boiler room. THis will allow me to permanently cover up the hole in the wall and the furnace would still be pulling in air, only it would be pulling in air from the boiler room and the noise would be gone. This may be a stupid question, but I don't know what else to do. THanks a lot for your help.
joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #2

I have attached a diagram of another option that I may have. I believe that if I move the 20x20 vent up to high it will be far enough away from the actual fan/blower and I will not hear the noise. I would need a few 90 degree pieces and some 20 inch wide ductwork, which I don't know where to get, but it may work. Please let me know what you think and please excuse my MS paint skills. Thanks a lot
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace intake noise question-furnace.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #3

cant draw air from furnace room against code and dangerous as combustion fumes can be drawn into system
second idea of moving return is feasible but doubtful its going to make a nite and day differance
pre made duct can be purchased at many supply houses
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #4

thanks. I'll go with the 2nd option, anything has to be better than what it is now.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #5

I went with the 2nd option and it worked perfectly. I no longer have to turn up the tv when the heat goes on. Hope this helps others.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
I went with the 2nd option and it worked perfectly. I no longer have to turn up the tv when the heat goes on. Hope this helps others.
thanks for letting us know the results
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #7

I guess I'd check the delta T across your heat exchanger to make sure you're not shortening its life. The CFMs and FPM are all interdependent.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote