Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #1

Share |

Furnace Intake Modification --can it be done?

Hi Folks

Been a while since I was here. Hope all are well.

I live in a 1959 brick home in the Wash DC area, 45 x 25 feet. We have a 1959 furnace (which Id like to replace next year) but it works okay. Furnace is in the basement and we have an main level with living quarters.

The furnace fresh air intake 'vent,' which is at the top of the wall on he main level hallway, at the opposite end of the house from the furnace, was a sealed chamber about 3 x 2 x 8 feet. This ultimately led to a metal slit vent that was far smaller, about 1 x 2 feet. So it would seem that there was a lot of space in that intake shaft that then terminated into a much smaller vent opening; notably the vent opening matched the size of the actual metal shaft leading down all the way back to the furnace.

While renovating it occurred to me that the if I was careful to maintain the same intake size as the original fresh air vent/ shaft leading to the furnace, I could also carve out a small sealed off closet in that otherwise giant 3x2 foot dead space cavity. So in other words the proposed closet would be separated from the intake vent. Obviously for safety reasons I am thinking about making sure the fresh air supply volume is not changed.....and I think I can do this.

Can I solicit thoughts on the subject? Do you think this idea sounds okay?

And I have also read about homes that have intake shafts that suck in air from outside. Our windows and insulation is not up to par, but if it were, would I then need to update the intake so that it did, in fact, suck air from outside? Could this be done now, rather than my current idea?

Safety is the number one goal....its just that we have pitifully few closets in this house and Id like to surprise the Mrs with a new closet.

Thanks Fellas
Drew

Dyoung is offline   Reply With Quote