Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

furnace install estimate

hey guys just got an estimate for replacing my old goodman 80% furnace with a york single stage 95% and a honeywell 1600 cfm air cleaner(non-electronic). Replacing vent pipe with pvc (25' run) and minor duct transition work due to newer heaters being smaller than old ones. Does $2900 seem to be in the ballpark for this type of job? This is a horizontal mount in a crawl space just fyi. thanks

Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #2

furnace install estimate

Dang. I wish I could have gotten a quote that low.

Anyway, did you get more than one quote? Only professionals in your area looking at your home will be able to give you an accurate estimate.

BabsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #3

furnace install estimate

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!! make sure you get it in writing including all items to be installed. Then jump all over it..
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #4

furnace install estimate

I would love to get a HVAC tech to install at that price. The York 2 stage modulating 98% furnace is $1775 by Distributor cost. Most HVAC techs double that cost then add their profit %. A Goodman 2 stage Variable speed furnace is around $1200 but most HVAC techs say cost $2700 plus install cost. HVAC is a huge ripoff ($ wise) however it is VITAL to your house and your comfort.
rebelranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #5

furnace install estimate

thanks guys I knew I couldn't get an exact estimate just trying to gauge if the quote seems reasonable which judging by the posts it definetly is. This guy is on his own so no BIG NAME overhead to contend with. My brother inlaw recommended him so he has at least 1 good reference.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #6

furnace install estimate

YOU ACTUALLY TRUST YOUR BROTHER IN LAW? LOL!

just make sure he can handle warranty issues AND he is licensed and ask him for at least 2 or 3 more references. I actually have just sold my house and the new homeowner is going to have the furnace replaced by a similar typ tech (on his own) but, who has great references and knows what he is doing..he taught HVAC for 4 years. But, currently has full time job doing maintenance and commissioning etc., for very large realty corp and does installs on the side. So, less expensive and excellent install.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2

furnace install estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelranger
I would love to get a HVAC tech to install at that price. The York 2 stage modulating 98% furnace is $1775 by Distributor cost. Most HVAC techs double that cost then add their profit %. A Goodman 2 stage Variable speed furnace is around $1200 but most HVAC techs say cost $2700 plus install cost. HVAC is a huge ripoff ($ wise) however it is VITAL to your house and your comfort.
If there was so much money to be made in residential HVAC, I would still be doing it. The profit margins just aren't there, and it's a very competitive business to be in.
hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #8

furnace install estimate

HVAC beeny maybe you say that but why is there so much competition? Because it is high profit business. Now is there lots of money to front and debt to handle yes, which is why typically only big HVAC companies make it.

An sole person HVAC company I can see doesn't have the profit margin needed to stay in service but the large ones do. I know what equipment costs to buy, whereas most people do not. I have experience in HVAC building (been to plants and discussed with plant managers the costs associated) and HVAC distro (work and interaction with those business owners). I know the mark up is over 100%, although costs may be a significant portion of that profit.

rebelranger is offline   Reply With Quote