DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Furnace inlet vent problems

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ben's plumbing 
#1 ·
I recently noticed that the vent that was installed for my furnace is sucking in a lot of debris from outside into my furnace room. It was installed only 4 inches above the ground level. It also snows here in Utah so I expect it will be covered completely in the winter. I looked at the code and it looks like it was not installed according to code. From what I understand this is what the code says:
1. Must be installed 12 inches above grade or above expected snow level.
2. Must be at least 4 ft from a window that opens or a door or 1 foot above.
Does this sound right? I would like to understand so I can get this located in a place that is up to code.

#6 ·
the furnace has the exhaust pipe going out the side of the house. The input tube is just open to the air in the basement. But then above the furnace is the 6 inch tube that leads outside.

I have two units in my home. One for the upstairs in my attic(immediately under the roof) and one for the main floor(in the basement). The basement doesn't have vents and is unfinished. The input and exhaust pipes for the upstairs unit goes out the roof. Both tubes.

I didn't get a chance to look at the neighbors before it got dark outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.