Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
n00b

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Furnace inducted house ventilation

Hello. I get tired (literally) of the stale air in my house after having the windows and doors closed for weeks on end. About once every week I open a window on the top floor and a diagonal window on the first floor and let the fresh air in for about 20 minutes. I often get an oxygen high for a few minutes and then I feel refreshed and energized. I think my house is on the tighter side (built in 1996). I work from home and only get out of the house maybe 8-15 hours per week unless we are traveling. I am really feeling the need to add some ventilation to this house [2500 sq. ft., 4 BR, 3 occupants, three finished levels].

So I was poking around in the basement and remembered the inspector telling me that the natural gas furnace has a forced cold-air induction that is drawn in by the flue exhaust fan. The intake and exhaust are 2" ID. Is it crazy to think that a tee and a fresh air damper could be added to the intake between the drain tee and the furnace, then routed to the return? Something like the Honeywell Y8150A. Or is this a bad idea? The place where I imagined the tee would go is on a horizontal run, right down stream from the water drain. The pipe to the damper would be vertically down from the intake pipe. Since natural gas is lighter than air and the valve is normally closed, I figured it would not pose a gas problem if some gas somehow managed to get into the intake when the exhaust fan was off. Although, I think the vent would have a very long cycle time due to the small ID. Anyhow, I haven't crunched many numbers for this (like the cfm for a 2" pipe and my blower). The main reasons for this idea are that I want to avoid cutting any more holes and running more duct work in my house, especially 6" or larger, and the associated costs. I guess I could be convinced to do so if that is the only option. I will be drilling one for the external temp sensor for my new TrueSteam humidifier.

Also, the vent would be controlled by a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ YTH9421.

I bet there is a better solution. I am interested in hearing your thoughts. I have worked with gas connections, ventilation, electrical, thermostats and plumbing on a home DIY basis only. I like to do things by code, but in this case I don't know much about the codes involved.

Thanks,
Ryan

diab0lus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,996

That install would not work, and it would draw the gas into your home, until the safties shut down your furnace.

You need to install a seperate in take, a minimum of 10' a way from your furnaces flue exhaust.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
That install would not work, and it would draw the gas into your home, until the safties shut down your furnace.

You need to install a seperate in take, a minimum of 10' a way from your furnaces flue exhaust.
Thanks for the reply. No trouble locating the intake 10' from the flue since the flue is on the roof.

Would the suction from the blower overwhelm the exhaust fan and cause a back draft when the furnace is on? I didn't consider that.

Do you have any ideas for a ground level intake installation that would be rather inconspicuous (not a huge 6" vent cover or roof jack)? I have already located a spot that is away from the other exhaust vents on the ground level, but it is in a rather visible area.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 01-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,996

It would pull fumes back from the inducer.

No, the hoods are all pretty much the same.

But, you can always paint them to match your decor.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
n00b

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Ryan