Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

Furnace Ignitor Was Clicking While Lit, Now Won't Light

I've got an older Payne/Carrier 395BAW024060 inside furnace. Last year, I had trouble with the flame sensor (don't remember symptoms) which I was able to solve by removing it and cleaning it thoroughly with steel wool. I started up the furnace for the first time last week, and it ran fine, but soon I started to hear the ignitor clicking repeatedly after the furnace was already running and producing heat. Today, the furnace stopped producing heat and the fan is running non-stop--the only way to get the fan to stop running is to unplug the furnace.

I tried the same routine I did last year. I removed the flame sensor, which was a bit oxidized, and thoroughly cleaned it with steel wool and compressed air. No effect. As soon as I put everything back together and turned on the furnace, the fan came on full force and won't stop running, and the pilot won't light. I also tried the old "rap on the circuit board and jiggle wires" routine, and that didn't work either.

Any thoughts on what to try next? Is there a simple way to check if the flame sensor is shot? Would a shot sensor cause the fan to run full time?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

scribb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
as seen on tv

How long did you leave the power off? Cleaning a flame sensor with steel wool puts a coating on the sensor. Your furnace probably locked itself out. need to turn off power for a minute or two. Then try to trouble shoot with meter at the ready

qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #3

Does the blower come on right away after you plug the furnace in? If it does you could have a bad limit, bad board, blown 3 amp fuse. Lots of possibilities. Check the low voltage fuse 1st. It could be located on the board.
sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthvac View Post
Does the blower come on right away after you plug the furnace in? If it does you could have a bad limit, bad board, blown 3 amp fuse. Lots of possibilities. Check the low voltage fuse 1st. It could be located on the board.
The blower does come on right away. I left it unplugged for a good 5-10 minutes.

Does the fact that the ignitor was clicking repeatedly before this problem occurred indicate anything that would help me troubleshoot?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #5

No not really, I've seen bryant units that will click during the entire furnace cycle.
sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #6

Sounds like an open limit switch. How is the filter?
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIP4661 View Post
Sounds like an open limit switch. How is the filter?
Just cleaned the filter--it's a washable filter.

Okay. I'm now in the category of "man who can't provide heat for his family." I've taken a few pictures of the furnace in case that helps eliminate options. I tested the pressure switch up top, and voltage appears to be moving through it, although the terminal under the red wire appears discolored. I couldn't find the fuse--are those the big clear-plastic boxes on the circuit board?

Old 10-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

First let me say GET RID OF THE WASHABLE FILTER!!

You can never clean them well enough

Now, just behind the gas valve is the high limit. It look like an orange or red and a green or blue wire going to it.

Remove the two wires and connect them toghther and make a call for heat and see what happens.

With the blower coming on as soon as you plug it in tells me one of two things have happened either the thermostat fan selector is set to on OR the high limit has tripped

Try this and repost

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #9

There is a manual resetable limit switch on the draft inducer housing, (little red button on top). Did you try to reset that. Also if your tstat is calling for heat on power up the fan will run for 90sec before it will cycle for heat.

Last edited by HvacWiz; 10-11-2009 at 09:40 PM.
HvacWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #10

Thanks for the help! I tried to be as methodical as possible with all the suggestions. Here's what I tried:

1. I unplugged the unit (someone suggested the lockout might require being unplugged for a couple of minutes).
2. I bypassed the high limit switch by unplugging both wires from the terminals and linking directly with some scrap copper wire.
3. I plugged the unit back in.
4. I pressed the manual reset button on top of the draft inducer housing (I think that's what it was, I had to push the point of a screwdriver through the vent on the top of the furnace to reach it.
5. I pushed the cover switch, since I have the whole front cover off, and the furnace started up.

Here's what happened.

1. The blower motor came on right away--not the inducer, realized it might not have been clear when I've said "fan", it's always been the blower.
2. I waited 2 minutes to see if the ignitor would switch on, no luck--and no smell of gas, so valve isn't opening either.
3. I pushed the manual reset button while the blower had been running for 2 minutes, and waited another 2 minutes, no luck.

I also tried disconnecting the thermostat wires from the circuit board, and the blower still runs on start up and won't stop.

I discovered a wiring diagram on the back of the cover. I can snapshot that if it's of use.

I *really* appreciate your help. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #11

On that furnace I believe there is also a manual restable limit on top of the the main blower motor case, if so, try that also. There is also a fusible link on the wire going to the main limit behind the gas valve, make sure that has continuity through it.

Last edited by HvacWiz; 10-11-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
as seen on tv

power off with ohm meter test limit with wires off should have continuity test fusible link on wire going to limit. test draft switch , If all tested good disconnect tstat wiring , reconnect limit and saftey wiring ,turn power on if the blower comes on you may have a ban fan control typical of that model to have one of the relays stuck closed
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HvacWiz View Post
On that furnace I believe there is also a manual restable limit on top of the the main blower motor case, if so, try that also. There is also a fusible link on the wire going to the main limit behind the gas valve, make sure that has continuity through it.
Ding Ding Ding! Winner!

I hadn't noticed that was a fusible link on the end of the wire at the point where it connects to the high limit switch, so when I bypassed the switch by linking the ends of the wires, that little fusible link was still on the circuit. This time, I used the multimeter to test the fusible link and it looked dead. I bypassed it for long enough to turn on the furnace, and bingo, furnace turned on, the ignitor popped and everything fired up.

Okay. So now when I replace that little link (3 amp, right?), I'm assuming it was either fried because it's as old as my grandmother, or something else caused it to blow. Would that old crappy washable filter help blow that fuse?

Thank you **SO MUCH**. I'll be the stud of the house again when the heats flowing.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:00 AM   #14

No your filter would have nothing to do with it, just make sure when your furnace fires up there is no flame rollout, but by the looks of things it just popped cause like you said it was old.

Tags
flame sensor, furnace, ignitor