Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace Ignition Issue

Lennox 80 MGF model-my furnace goes through the usual ignition cycle and starts blowing warm air through the heating ducts but then stops before the full heating requirement is met. It will start again automatically after about a minute or so and this continues without really generating the required heat. The red and green led lights are flashing at the same on the control board.

Thanks

CottagerRenoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rewards Points: 500

Furnace Ignition Issue

clean flame sensor it right in front a burner. It like a small rod take a sand paper and clean it up. You be good to go

Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Furnace Ignition Issue

Both lights flashing fast or flashing slow when it shuts down early? Fast flash means there's a call for heat from the thermostat and slow flash means there's not.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #4

Furnace Ignition Issue

The furnace is at my cottage so I'll check the flashing lights next weekend. I know that the lights are flashing simultaneously, one red and one green, as the furnace is at rest and not producing any heat. Normally, there is just one light that is red and it stays on when the furnace is at rest and not producing heat. We don't use the furnace during the summer and discovered the issue this fall.

What would cause the change in the led lights when the furnace is not running and in heating mode?

I also received a post on cleaning the flame sensor rod which I think I can do myself.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Furnace Ignition Issue

There's a chart on the door to tell you what the lights mean. If it says watchguard turn the power off and back on to reset then watch the lights in a heating cycle. A call for heat is both lights fast flashing. If the furnace detects a fault in a heating cycle the lights will change blinking pattern to point you in the right direction on what to check next.

The most common issue on all newer furnaces is a weak flame sense as tator stated. Cleaning the flame sensor and the face of the burner cures that easy enough. They really should be cleaned every year.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #6

Furnace Ignition Issue

I removed and cleaned the flame sensor rod and the furnace is working fine. Thank you for all of your help!

Cheers