Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Furnace Filter Question

Good Afternoon-

Our previous furnace was installed weird and had no filter. It is up in our attic. Last year we spent some serious coin and got a new one. I assumed someone else who was here when it was installed knew where the filter was, and had been changing it.

The company we purchased it from went out of business. From what I can tell the placement of the filter isn't model specific, the installer does it.

I know nothing about HVAC systems. I lived in apartments my whole life until this house.

I might have it wrong, but the only place that makes sense is in the middle of of the picture I am attaching. If it is right there i no filter in there now. I turned the unit off and I can stick my hand into a gap on the other side. This compartment seems to be about the right size.

I am paying for the service through my utility for the furnace since the company went out of business and comfort maker has not helped either. I could try to call them, but the unit is working, and they are really for repairs.

Should I just call a local installer and get help?

Edit: Opened access panel, there is something that looks like a filter without a frame there. Do I take that out and put a new filter in this slot? Thanks in advance for any help. I can send pics of that as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace Filter Question-20120804_133642.jpg  

Last edited by turtlegrrl; 08-04-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: More info
turtlegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Furnace Filter Question

Not to pick it apart but that install looks pretty bad. The pic appears to show a filter rack connected directly to the return side of the furnace. Looks to be covered with a sheet metal door (about 1" wide shaped like a U). that U shaped peice of sheet metal should be removable by pulling away form the furnace. filter should be there if what I think i see is right.

turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turnermech For This Useful Post:
turtlegrrl (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Furnace Filter Question

eventually your "A" coil will clog up with dust and debris and will ice up. You should definitely look into a filter. Your maintenance contract usually doesn't cover filter replacement but if you have no space for one they will be making a service call sooner or later so it may be in their best interest to install one for you.
fred54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

Furnace Filter Question

I stink at picking the right company for a job. I am never ever picking the best price again.

At the time it seemed like I found good reviews, but a year later they are out of business.

Originally they installed it over the side of the drip tray, and water came through my living room ceiling. Four months later when the circuit board blew they were no where to be found.

I don't think there is a door. I poked my fingers around for awhile, nothing is giving. What I did find was that the other side of what I think is the filter rack is open. Since I can't get to that side of the attic without crawling over the furnace, I opened up the bottom panel, and I can see what looks like a makeshift filter, gray with green nylon netting. That probably needs to come out, right?

Thanks in advance for your help. This all came about because our attic ladder broke last week, and my husband said we didn't need to replace it right now. I said, we will have to replace the furnace filter before fall, and he gave me a look. Apparently we never replaced the filter.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #5

Furnace Filter Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnermech View Post
Not to pick it apart but that install looks pretty bad.
Should I have someone out to inspect it? Now you have me concerned.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #6

Furnace Filter Question

It never hurts to have a good company preform annaual maintenance on your a/c and your furnace. What looks bad is the workman ship. It just does not look like a job done by a skilled installer who took pride in what they do. but sadly most job look just like yours more and more these days.

do you have filters in the home installed in the filter grills? if you do you don't need them in the grills and in the furnace.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #7

Furnace Filter Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnermech View Post
It never hurts to have a good company preform annaual maintenance on your a/c and your furnace. What looks bad is the workman ship. It just does not look like a job done by a skilled installer who took pride in what they do. but sadly most job look just like yours more and more these days.

do you have filters in the home installed in the filter grills? if you do you don't need them in the grills and in the furnace.
It isn't just HVAC stuff, I think a lot of contracted jobs are poorly done. Very little pride of workmanship anymore. I understand some of it, people don't want to pay for quality.

No filters in the grills.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #8

Furnace Filter Question

Money rules the world everyone want to make more and do less. Pepole want ot pay less. worst sometime someone pays enough to have a good job chooses wrong contractor and gets less than the paid for. Sometimes I wonder why my phone does not ring off the hook. ofcourse sometimes it does.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,188

Furnace Filter Question

sorry for your issues...but have to agree with turnermech...bad install....can you get a few more pictures for different angles....ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comfortmaker, filter