Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace Fan Will Not Stop - Help

I was installing a new thermostat. I had to run a 7 conductor wire so that I could have a common. My system is a Amana Distinctions Heat Pump with a gas back-up (aux). When I put the new stat on (Debonair 400) it would not leave the off mode. I could not get it to go to heat or cool. I got concerned so I went to hook the old stat back up. When I removed the new stat, the fan on the furnace kicked on with nothing connected. I immediately hooked up the old stat and it will not shut off. The unit is not responding to the stat. I removed the fan wire at the control panel (G) for the thermostat and the furnace - nothing happened. The unit will not heat or cool either. The only way to stop the furnace is at the breaker (I do not have a switch at the unit).

What could be the problem?

cmr_3168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #2

The reason I changed the stat is because the original stat was a HoneywellFocusPro 5000. It seemed like a great stat except you can not change the "deadband" on the stat. If I set the temp to 68 degrees heating mode, it would cycle on and off every 5 minutes. My house never got to 67 degrees. The internal setpoit was like a 1/2degree.

My bills are skyrocketing with the constat starting and stopping of the unit. I am used to the thermostat calling for heat when it drops 2 degrees. There is no setting in this stat to change this. Any thoughts?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

My guess would be you blew the low voltage fuse on the air handler board. The power should always be turned off before any service is performed.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #4

Is there a way to tell if the fuse is blown or does the fuse just have to be reset?

Where is the air handler board usually located?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Not positive but I think the fuse is on the furnace control board on that model. Will look like a 3 amp blade type car fuse.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr_3168 View Post
I was installing a new thermostat. I had to run a 7 conductor wire so that I could have a common. My system is a Amana Distinctions Heat Pump with a gas back-up (aux). When I put the new stat on (Debonair 400) it would not leave the off mode. I could not get it to go to heat or cool. I got concerned so I went to hook the old stat back up. When I removed the new stat, the fan on the furnace kicked on with nothing connected. I immediately hooked up the old stat and it will not shut off. The unit is not responding to the stat. I removed the fan wire at the control panel (G) for the thermostat and the furnace - nothing happened. The unit will not heat or cool either. The only way to stop the furnace is at the breaker (I do not have a switch at the unit).

What could be the problem?

I hate to tell you. I think that t-stat is not made for heat pump and gas furnace back up. You need the honey well 5300 touch screen.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #7

We moved in the house this summer. The honeywell th5000 worked the unit. The range to call heat is so small it cycles often. There are options in the honeywell stat for heat pump.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #8

I got the fan to stop. The low voltage fuse on the control panel had failed. I replaced the fuse and now the fan has stopped and is operating properly. This does not help with the unit continually cycling, but I have heat again!