Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #1

Share |

Furnace drum humidifier question

Hello,

I have a home with forced hot air, and a generalaire model 81 drum humidifier. It was previously hooked up, however at some point the water was turned off to it and it dried up. I now have caked on crud all over the humidifier pad and the plastic parts. I want to start using this again as my hosue is so dry. I have tried cleaning it but can only get most of it off. Is this harmful, or should I replace this pad and drum parts. My water is city water and I have used bleach and water to clean it best I can. Any help is appreciated.

Justin

justin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #2

Furnace drum humidifier question

the pad needs to be replaced but all the other items can be scraped down best as possible as you did.soaking the drum/and all parts might make more of the mineral easier to get off your most important part there is the motor and the valve tap for the water and the float with the humidifier.the motor need to see the wheel and the shaft turn very easy when running 360 degrees around.test the motor in hand to see it run maybe oil if it takes it.clean the drive rod after soaking with brillo pad..reason being,you don't want any WEIGHT other then what the motor can turn during humidifying new pad, clean shaft turns free when installed.test the humidifier on a bench with the wheel/motor inplace and check out it turning.an inline filter on the water inlet wouldn't hurt if you can do the install(cutting of copper line off the valve tap and use compression fittings to lock it in.your humidista should be ocated on the reurn duct and controls the running of the humidifier from the outlet you plug it into.for your info the humidifier only runs when the fan comes on during the heating cycle...HD might have a mild acid you could soak all that stuff in to help and if you have a sponge sleeve pads you slide over the wheel www.grainger.com might have them and or HD they list descaler for cleaning if you go there.

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote