Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace Doesn't Run Long Enough to Try to Ignite

I have a Goodman GMP100-4 furnace. We just had to finally turn it on a couple of days ago, and it ran just fine for about the first 24 hours. After working in the yard yesterday we came in the house to find it not running. I went down and checked it and the front panel was slightly loose for some reason and putting it back into place apparently pushed in the safety button and it started right up.

It ran for about an hour or so when I noticed it wasn't kicking in again. I opened the front cover and pressed the safety button manually, and the draft inducer kicks in for about 5 seconds or so, and then the whole thing shuts down before it gets to the ignition cycle. Trying the switch again sometimes causes the same thing to happen, sometimes it does absolutely nothing. I'm not getting any kind of flash code on the front of the control board, but the light does come solidly on whenever pressing the safety button DOES try to start the draft inducer.

My non-technical mind is telling me it's something in the box that houses the safety button, but wanted to get some better advise before doing anything to it. Any help would be most appreciated.

MManchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,022

Furnace Doesn't Run Long Enough to Try to Ignite

before you diagnose anything you should have the heat exchanger integrity verified... 9.5/10 of every one of those types of goodman furnaces that I run into has a failed heat exchanger and actually may be part of what is the underlying cause of your furnace not working.