Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Furnace Condensation Drain

Hello,

We just had a new furnace installed and looks like the condensation pipe is draining into the ejector pit via trap drain on the floor and not the sump pump. I am curious if one pit is better than the other? We have an ejector pit since we have finished basement and would prefer not to use it as much.

Thanks

sbkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #2

If it were my basement, I would want the furnace to have its own condensate pump with built in safety switch. If the drains clog, it shots off the unit in-lieu-of flooding the basement.

Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 554

make sure it is draining into something which is only pvc. The liquid coming out of there will corrode about everything.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Eubanks View Post
If it were my basement, I would want the furnace to have its own condensate pump with built in safety switch. If the drains clog, it shots off the unit in-lieu-of flooding the basement.
Interesting. I really like the idea of having this safety switch as it almost flooded my basement as the ejector pump wasn't installed. Where would the condensate pump eject the water to?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #5

The pump comes with some 1/4" clear hose that can be run to the outdoors. The 3/4" PVC from the furnace just dumps right into the pump.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

Patrick - do you have any recommendations on pump/safety switch? At minimum I would like to install a safety switch. Is this something you can get separately from the pump? Almost feels like it should come with my furnace (American Std silver). Many thanks!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,788

Quote:
Is the flooding of a basement with furnace condensate(5 gallons a day maybe) less damaging then the basement being flooded from a water pipe that froze and burst(5 gallons a minute or more) because the safety switch shut the heat off.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Is the flooding of a basement with furnace condensate(5 gallons a day maybe) less damaging then the basement being flooded from a water pipe that froze and burst(5 gallons a minute or more) because the safety switch shut the heat off.
Very interesting point... So what's the best practice for condensate control in the basement or attic space? Thanks!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,788

A secondary drain pan, with its own drain line.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #10

If you will do a search online for condensate pumps you will find what your looking for. If disabling your furnace is a concern, most pumps come with built in terminals for an alarm to alert you of a failure. If the AHU is in the attic, I agree that a pan and pan switch ( building code here in NC) are your best options. From your post I assumed it wasnt able to maintain a fall without draining into your basement drains. If you can achieve a fall from a pan then that is your best option. If not, I would go with a pump.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
If you will do a search online for condensate pumps you will find what your looking for. If disabling your furnace is a concern, most pumps come with built in terminals for an alarm to alert you of a failure. If the AHU is in the attic, I agree that a pan and pan switch ( building code here in NC) are your best options. From your post I assumed it wasnt able to maintain a fall without draining into your basement drains. If you can achieve a fall from a pan then that is your best option. If not, I would go with a pump.
Got it. Yes, basement unit doesn't have a fall so pan won't be an option. Thank you!