Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

furnace combustion air from attic

I have a goodman 93% high efficency natural gas furnace located in my single story home in the utility room. Utility room is not closed off in any way to the rest of the house.

Original installers used pvc to vent the furnace to the roof but combustion air for the furnace is pulled from inside the house.

Could the combustion air for the furnace be piped in with pvc pipe from my attic area? Of course routed well above attic insulation. The attic has 1 vent on the north side of the home, and 1 on the south side of the house, and 3 roof vents.

just wondering if this is acceptable practice.

rvegab00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:19 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,762

Its done, but instructions want both intake and exhaust in same area. To prevent nusiance trips of the pressure switches.

If you have trouble on windy days. Cut it open in the furnace room again.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your reply.

I know the prefered setup has them both on the roof, but if one is in the attic, what difference in pressure would there be, not sure I understand.

Currently the furnace pulls air for combustion from in the house. So there is already a difference in pressure, no?

Just wondering.
Thanks again.
rvegab00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,762

Sudden change in wind direction could make the attic a positive pressure compared to the outside where the vent is. And then go back to normal, or even negative. Sudden changes like this can cause the pressure switch to open and drop out the burners. If this happens 3 to 5 times(depending on brand) the board will lock out the burner.

With it in the furnace room. There is no sudden change of pressure from the inside air.

What you want to do. Works in many houses. But not in all. Depends on where the exhaust is located. And how the attic is vented. And which way gable vents face.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote