Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #1

Share |

Furnace closet question

Installing a furnace in a basement we plan to finish. So i'm trying to work out the floor plan to install it. Due to some plumbing we can't install the furnace in the utility room. The bathroom drain plumbing is already in the concrete so the bathroom is kinda set in stone. (Unless we decide to pay $$ to change it)

I was wondering what the footage would have to be for a furnace closet?
4x4?

The furnace is a Goodman GMH95 Furnace
I have uploaded a photo of the floorplan. Its not set in stone. I'd say the only thing set in stone on the floor plan would be the utility room (its already framed in, and the bathroom / furnace area because of the way the plumbing is setup for the drainage.

Also some of the dimensions are off for the other rooms since i have to redo them now.
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace closet question-basement.jpg  

Talgonadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Furnace closet question

If you're wondering about how much room you need on the sides of the unit when you frame it in I don't believe any room outside of the front panels for servicing.

I've had one inspector in 12 years tell me to install an inspection door in the drywall on the back wall (of which was a bedroom clothes closet) of the unit so he could see that the coil/furnace connection was taped and sealed to code and that was it. I've seen 'em touch the wall on three sides and be good.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

Furnace closet question

Ok, so all i need to do is figure out the furnance size, and the ductwork size that they are going to use for the install. Once they get me those 2 numbers i should be able to have a rough estimate. I told them to install it as close to the wall as possible so that the furnace closet will be as small as possible.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Furnace closet question

You may want to contact a local hvac contractor to help you with this, someone who has experience with this exact set up in your area. That Goodman 95% furnace requires two (2) pvc pipe's run to it, fresh air intake and exhaust.

Again, I strongly suggest you hire someone just for their input to physically come out and take a look. You also have to account for the evaporator on top of the furnace, the supply plenum on top of the evaporator and then the return as well as all ductwork so not as simple as just putting a furnace into a closet.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #5

Furnace closet question

I have a contractor I sent them an email and haven't heard anything back. I'd like to tell them where I would like it to go. I figured showing them the floor plan would help.

They are coming tomorrow morning to collect my accepted offer on their bid.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Furnace closet question

I would not pay them in full up front without them walking you through any and all questions concerning this install. There should be no surprises so be very thorough with your questions. There are codes concerning where the penetrations for the pvc will need to be such as 12" above grade and certain distances from openings such as doors and windows, etc.

Make sure you are comfortable and satisfied with these guys and their answers, that they went above and beyond to inform you of all plans and reasoning behind them, before you hand over any money.

Let us know how the initial visit goes.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #7

Furnace closet question

Ill ask them a boatload of questions. When you mean 12in above grade that means above the ground or above the concrete? When you say it has to be a certain distance from a door is that all doors or only certain types? Since well my plan shows it pretty close to the bathroom door. We live in Wisconsin... If that helps
Old 08-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Furnace closet question

Oh man, you're asking the wrong person. I just know that there are additional codes for these types of installs with additional work, additional relating to the higher efficiency systems such as your 95%, but the actual inches (above grade, not the inside floor) as well as distance from doors and windows are best answered by those in your area. Here in Houston we don't have basements, everything is mainly in attics and hallway closets.

Perhaps another tech with more experience with this will chime in. You're on the right track, though!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Furnace closet question

Vent termination is 12" above normal snow accumulation. If your in an area that doesn't get snow, then 12" above grade.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
HOTDAWG

Furnace closet question

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere
Vent termination is 12" above normal snow accumulation. If your in an area that doesn't get snow, then 12" above grade.
You also need 24" in front of your furnace for service clearance.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #11

Furnace closet question

So the hvac company called back and due to my drain pipe in the ceiling and the main beam on my house they can't run return ducts. They said they would install floor register returns and have ductwork go into the basement. The furnace would then suck in the air from their? In theory this would work right? When we finish the basement we would only be able to have roughly a 7ft ceiling and the entire ceiling would then become the return as he said.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #12

Furnace closet question

Get another opinion there has got to be a better way than that.
turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #13

Furnace closet question

I'll get a few pictures of what I mean to help show it.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #14

Furnace closet question

I should add that two companies out of the 5 wanted to do the same thing. One of the other company's never gave me a quote back. The 4th and 5th ones didn't mention it but maybe they didn't think about it. I can ask them.. Since at the time of their inspection I had not said anything about finishing the basement just that I was having heating and cooling issues.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
If it's free...It's me

Furnace closet question

Is the furnace being installed to heat the first floor, the basement, or both?

Have you already purchased this particular furnace, or is it going to be included in the quote?

Johnny'sHotDogs is offline   Reply With Quote