Furnace Blows Cold Air In Bedroom - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace blows cold air in bedroom

My house is a little over 3 years old and it has always been a little colder in the master bedroom than the rest of the house. Last night I think I finally figured out why. When the heater kicked on, the air coming out of the vents hit me and it was almost cold. I figured it would warm up as the heater ran but it never did. The air blowing in the master bathroom is the same. I went and felt the air in the kitchen and is was very warm and so are other vents in the house. So I went in the attic to check for kinked ducts or something and couldn't see anything but I don't know anything about what I'm looking at. I did notice that there is one duct that splits to two for the bedroom and another duct that splits to two for the bathroom and they are the first two ducts on the plenum but I don't know if that means anything. Is there some reason that these two ducts would/could be blowing colder than the rest of the ducts in the house?

Advertisement

ehuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #2

A guy at works thinks that I might have leaks in my ducts but I can't find any. Does this make sense?

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
how

Rewards Points: 634

If the vent is really blowing cold air beyond the initial store of a possible 10 seconds of cool air in the vent, then something is cooling down that one heating vent. (running through an uninsulated area, an uninsulated section of outside wall or running along side a dryer vent). Are all the duct lines in your attic warm to touch along there entire exposed length when the furnace is running? Can you identify the duct in the attic that is going to the master bedroom?
how is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,780

Gas furnace or a heat pump? Pics of the ducts where they attach to the plenum would help.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post

If the vent is really blowing cold air beyond the initial store of a possible 10 seconds of cool air in the vent, then something is cooling down that one heating vent. (running through an uninsulated area, an uninsulated section of outside wall or running along side a dryer vent). Are all the duct lines in your attic warm to touch along there entire exposed length when the furnace is running? Can you identify the duct in the attic that is going to the master bedroom?
The ducts all seem warm to the touch. The duct to the bedroom is easy to see because all of the ducts are laying exposed in the attic. They are the insulated silver looking ducts that are soft on the outside and feel like they have a spiral wound wire inside them. The two cold ones have plastic y's where they split. I will get up there and get some pictures after work.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Gas furnace or a heat pump? Pics of the ducts where they attach to the plenum would help.
It is an electric furnace, not a heat pump. In the picture, the two cold ducts are the ones on the right side of the plenum.
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace blows cold air in bedroom-imag0013.jpg  
Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

First thing is, you need to straighten out that rats nest of ductwork. Then from the flex duct to vents, there should be hard elbow's at that point. From where they exit the airbox, there should be dampers between the flex duct and airbox.

Also, you do not have enough blown in insulation in that space. What would work out better, than having the unit in the attic, is if you could sacrifice some closet space up on the floor below the attic, and then run insulated hard duct work up and across the attic to each room. That would allow you to run returns through the floor below the air handler, to every room, except for baths and kitchen.

Can you post a floor plan, also temps taken at the supply and return of the air handler, then from each duct and return. You can use a kitchen thermometer to measure, or use http://www.lowes.com/pd_74930-56005-...ter&facetInfo= http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...=airflow+meter

You can get a $40 from the first link, which is lowes.com. Now for what the time you take & the money, you could also have a environmental engineer do the same thing, and make sure that the duct work is up to snuff for your home.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,780

Too close to the air handler. The design of the strip heaters allows air to blow by them and not be heated. A normal plenum would be longer, and allow time for the cold air and heated air to mix.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,638

wow what a mess...the flex duct should be pulled tighter,and have some fitting at the end of runs.....and as beenthere said...why no normal plenum.I would take it all apart and start over...you will be amazed at the better air flow and heating ability...ben

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote