Furnace Blower Won't Turn On At Night. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

furnace blower won't turn on at night.

My old... very old, 32 yrs old rheem furnace will work fine during the day but won't work in the middle of the night. Between two and 8 in the morning there is a buzzing sound like it wants to kick in but the blower doesn't work. In the morning I have to turn the switch on and off and it works all day until the middle of the night. I changed the capacitor since it was reading at 6.5 and same issue. I don't know if having the roof replaced has anything to do with this. I don't know if there is condensation or ice somewhere and that is why it is happening at night. Please help.

Hello again, Thank you for the responses. It is a Rheem rgac-095a highboy furnace. I can understand if the motor heats up and shuts down but when it starts buzzing and I turn the switch off and then try 4 hours later it won't turn on if it is still the middle of the night. Around 8 in the morning I can flip the switch and the motor starts running and works all day. Then at night goes out again.

Ben's Plumbing If it is a thermal overload does that mean I need to replace the motor?

Thank you all. It was my motor and bracket which was riveted and couldn't tighten it. Installed the new motor and got a new bracket and working perfectly thank you.

How: I do have another motor dl1036 but I didn't think that's what it was. Also, no not a euphemism. Didn't think of that.

Advertisement

Last edited by mariamav3; 02-17-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: fixed
mariamav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Brand and model Please

Advertisement

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
how

Rewards Points: 606

If you measure the power leg and the neutral into that motor and get 120V when the motor is not running and you are getting that buzzing sound, then you will know that the motor has overheated and has shut down.
If your furnace has a board then the turning of the power on & off would reset the unit after the furnace limited out when the motor shut down.

If you've changed the capacitor with one that had the identical rating of the old one then you are probably going to need to change the blower motor.

Last edited by how; 02-16-2012 at 04:40 PM.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #4

Sound more like fan relay problem to me.See if you can tell if the noise is coming from the motor or the relay and continue from there
nice n easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

a 32 year old rheem is not going to have a relay on it for the fan, it uses a fan/limit combo. As how said, its probably over heating and shutting down.
dosy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,538

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamav3 View Post
My old... very old, 32 yrs old rheem furnace will work fine during the day but won't work in the middle of the night. Between two and 8 in the morning there is a buzzing sound like it wants to kick in but the blower doesn't work. In the morning I have to turn the switch on and off and it works all day until the middle of the night. I changed the capacitor since it was reading at 6.5 and same issue. I don't know if having the roof replaced has anything to do with this. I don't know if there is condensation or ice somewhere and that is why it is happening at night. Please help.
I really think its time to replace this furnace....just because of its age....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
dosy777 (02-16-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
I really think its time to replace this furnace....just because of its age....
I have to agree..........
dosy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dosy777 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-16-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #8

Hello again, Thank you for the responses. It is a Rheem rgac-095a highboy furnace. I can understand if the motor heats up and shuts down but when it starts buzzing and I turn the switch off and then try 4 hours later it won't turn on if it is still the middle of the night. Around 8 in the morning I can flip the switch and the motor starts running and works all day. Then at night goes out again.
mariamav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,538

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamav3 View Post
sounde like it going into thermal overload heats up ....needs 4-5 hrs to cool down before it will restart...thats why it runs in the morning
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
mariamav3 (02-16-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
how

Rewards Points: 606

Is the motor belt or fan cage stiff to move normally? Is it harder to move them when the motor is buzzing...Change motor.
Warning. A buzzing motor can fire up unexpectantly and make future repairs more awkward with missing fingers.

You can see if the motor is getting 120V when its trying to run but isn't...Change motor.

You can measure the Amps and compare that against the motor plate...if higher than the rating...change motor.

FURNACE BLOWER WON'T TURN ON AT NIGHT
Furnace blower isn't a euphenism for anything else...is it?

Advertisement

how is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-16-2012), dosy777 (02-16-2012), mariamav3 (02-16-2012)