Furnace Blower Wiring... - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace blower wiring...

This question is marginally about furnaces/HVAC, but I really don't know where else to turn to.

I got an old GE 115V 60Hz 1/2 hp motor, model number 5kh42er681S. It has a centrifugal clutch and belt drive pulley on its shaft. It's also thermally protected.

Unfortunately, there isn't any labeling on the wires or any documentation when I google that model number.

It has a 5-pin connector on it. It's arranged in a 2x3 6-pin connector with one pin empty.

colors are:

Left)
blue or green
white or yellow
orange

Right)
Black
[empty]
Yellow

This is when you look at the pins end-on on the connector. The colors are also faded, so I'm not sure which they are for some (thus the "or"s)

I am trying to use this for either a go kart or a lathe... in either case, it's not a furnace. So, I needed to know what the pinout is supposed to be. Visually, it looks similar to this model from grainger:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ite...Motors-_-1YJB1

Further info on the stamped plate:
Code: NKDR5Z
PC: 817G

Also, I don't see any other wires, like for a capacitor or anything, or it's just a single speed.

In any case, thanks for any help.

Advertisement

jongscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 514

Furnace blower wiring...

An Ohm meter may help identify your terminals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqiHh...eature=related

Advertisement

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace blower wiring...

...ok, oddness occurred when I probed it.

3 wires showed very little resistance to one each other and no connection to the other two.
the other two showed little resistance to one another and no connection to the other 3.

By little resistance, I mean like ~1-2 ohms and it was the same amount for each.
[I have an analog meter and it wouldn't zero to 0, so I "zeroed" it to 5 and it was reading 6-7 ohms at a 1ohm interval setting...]

Could it be something else going on here? Resistance didn't change when I turned the shaft (which I would assume would happen if it were an old brushed motor), and it looks like the shaft is wound as opposed to being a PM (not sure, will check tonight with a flashlight).

Could it be that the shaft is energized and the windings are energized in an alternating pattern to drive it? Not really sure if that's how these things happen, but just my wild guess.
jongscx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5kh42er681s , furnace , hvac