Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:03 AM   #1

Share |

Furnace blower fan not shutting off

Hi there,

I just replaced the furnace blower motor as it had problems starting and it's runs fine now except for the fact that it won't shut off even after the burners are off. I think the Honeywell limit switch is the culprit. I kinda rotated the dial by hand and moved the settings a bit but I moved them back to the original positions. The blower would come on and I can see the dial move and kick on the fan but it doesn't seem to turn off after that even when the furnace burner shuts off. The fan runs continuously. I checked to see if the white button was accidentally pushed in to manual mode but that's not the case. I can manually rotate the dial and it will shut the fan off. So my question is, does the limit switch need to be replaced? It was working fine it seemed before I changed the motor. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Spydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

If the dial doesn't move past the off pointer when the furnace is cool. Then the fan limit switch needs to be replaced.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
If the dial doesn't move past the off pointer when the furnace is cool. Then the fan limit switch needs to be replaced.

Hi Beenthere,

It's been awhile, no pun intended...lol. Happy new year by the way. I hope you remember me from previous threads. I thank you greatly for your support and advice.

It seems the dial is doing just that. I can rotate the dial manually to make it click and then the fan would shut off. it will move on it's own and click the fan on but not the other way around. I guess I'm gonna have to change that out. I'll reply and let you know how that goes. Thanks again for the great advice.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Your welcome.

Its not uncommon for them to become weak(the bi-metal helix) and not be able to shut the fan off.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #5

Hey Beenthere,

I replaced the combo limit fan switch and sure enough the furnace fan now operates like it's suppose to. My house is nice and toasty now thanks to you.

Last edited by Spydey; 01-22-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydey View Post
Hey Beenthere,

I replaced the combo limit fan switch and sure enough the furnace fan now operates like it's suppose to. My house is nice and toasty now thanks to you.

Good to hear.