Furnace Blower Fan Making Buzzing Noise - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Furnace Blower Fan Making Buzzing Noise

Hello,

I have a Thermo Pride forced air oil heating unit in my home and recently the blower motor has been acting up. Sometimes the blower motor fails to start when the furnace starts. It just makes a buzzing noise and after sometime will get hot to the touch.

So i decided to take the motor apart and clean it with an air compressor. When i sprayed the compressed air into the motor a considerable amount of a reddish colored dust came out. Any idea what that may be? Also i took the start up switch out and noticed the copper contacts had soot on them and pitting was evident, which lead me to believe there was arching. I cleaned the switch with rubbing alcohol and slightly sanded the pitting with a real fine grit emory board. The copper cleaned up nicely with very minimal sanding. I thought for sure i had found the problem.

Well, after about 5 days or so the motor was back to its funk, buzzing on start up and hot.

Here's the kicker... after letting the motor cool it will usually start again...upon doing so, if i turn the thermostat from "auto fan" to "always on" the motor does not have any problems and is cool to the touch. I've been running it a week on the "always on" selection and the fan has no problems. When i turn the thermostat to "auto fan" after a couple of days of successfully cycling on and off that is when the motor returns to its funk.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what the problem might be? I would like to fix the motor if at all possible. I would hate to replace the motor if that is not the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Emerson belt driven blower fan
Model: SA55NXTE-841
CAT: 841
1/3 HP
115 volts
60 Hz
5.4 Amps

Regards,

-Here in Philly

Advertisement

philadelphia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

got a meter to test voltage? amp draw? is there a control board? does the motor have three or four different speed taps meaning are there a few different wires coming from the motor to possibly a control board? Got any pictures?

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

is the motor have wires that plug in to different taps, possibly numbered? motors work at different speeds for different calls. Heat would be lowest, fan might be medium and for optimal cooling cool would be fastest. something is going on with the fast speed of the motor.

I'd think you need a new motor. of course if there are different speed taps you can change the speed on the cooling, lowering it and thus bypassing that particular or rather the full winding by not using it but it's just a matter of time before it all goes kapoot.

plus with lower speed on cool you stand the chance of the evaporator coil freezing up. you'd need to make sure and keep your return air filter new and pristine to avoid the possibility of a freeze up.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #4

Doc Holliday eh?

Phillies fan? (starting pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies) lol.... Live and die Phillies fan here in PA.

Thanks for the quick response.

On the blower motor:

Blue wire is 1
black wire is 2
white wire is 4
red wire is 5

I have an ohm meter with different settings if that will work and i don't think there is a control board on this unit. Its a Thermo Pride from 1984. I don't see a board anywhere, front or back (see pictures). We took good care of this system with annual cleanings and everything....not neglected it anyway. (i can get more spec's if needed)

I am proficient with electronics if guided.

Here are some pictures of the blower motor and the front of the furnace.

Regards,

-Go Phillies
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace Blower Fan Making Buzzing Noise-dscn0616.jpg   Furnace Blower Fan Making Buzzing Noise-dscn0617.jpg   Furnace Blower Fan Making Buzzing Noise-dscn0618.jpg   Furnace Blower Fan Making Buzzing Noise-dscn0619.jpg   Furnace Blower Fan Making Buzzing Noise-dscn0620.jpg  

Furnace Blower Fan Making Buzzing Noise-dscn0621.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #5

Here are 2 more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace Blower Fan Making Buzzing Noise-dscn0622.jpg   Furnace Blower Fan Making Buzzing Noise-dscn0623.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,784

Possibly weak start winding. It may have a shunt in the winding causing it to lock up. Time for a new motor, or take that one to a motor shop to be rewound. Also, replace that worn stretched out blower belt.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadelphia1 View Post
Doc Holliday eh?

Phillies fan?

Not at all.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,638

agree with b t time for new motor sounds like start windings could be shot...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #9

Do you folks have any suggestions where i can get a decent low cost motor? Ebay????
Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadelphia1 View Post
Do you folks have any suggestions where i can get a decent low cost motor? Ebay????
ww grainger,,or alot of heating supply should stock that motor..ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

WIll this work?

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...FQRnOgodgxcAEw

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25

Do a search on "emerson cat 841" (catalog number) and it will give you a direct replacement. Confirm right voltage with supply house.
If you read the bottom of the nomenclature plate it tells you how to oil the bearings as it sounds like they are not sealed, so make sure the oil ports/holes are up so you don't lose the oil.
Now days you can put a reminder on your computer/ipad/phone etc. to do the PM (preventive maintenance).
Look at your load as well, (load is what the motor is driving). In your case the blower, it may also have bearings that need light oiling.
Take your time on the wiring , confirm proper rotation before putting cover back on and watch for wire pinching when you put it back on).
Do not over- tighten the NEW belt (may as well change it you are there). Confirm proper rotation
-
Good luck, Joe

Advertisement

Focused2 is offline   Reply With Quote