Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
ice

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

furnace blower constantly running HELP!

Alright,
Here is the problem... During the summer my wife and I noticed a huge electric bill spike... $90 average to $200. I assumed the ac was the culprit so we turned it down. Next month the bill went to $250. This is when I realized the blower is constantly on. The unit outside turns on and off as advertised when the thermostat dictacts, but in between there is always air circulating throughout the house. We resorted to turning the main power off to the unit and only turn it on from there as needed. Winter is fast approaching and this idea will not work so well for heating the house. When set to heating, the burner lights the gas comes out and everthing works as advertised, but once the correct yemp is reached, the gas shuts off the flame goes out and the blower stays on circulating cold air. Any ideas what could be causing this problem? I've seen alot of stuff about control boards with this particular model, but they are in reference to different problems. I have a Bryant unit model number 383KAV042091AHJA, serial number 4800A57873. The control board i have is HK42FZ009. Any help would be appreciated.

ice_wolf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:26 AM   #2

Get the system cleaned and serviced...NOW...It could have a bad part that turns on or off the blower motor...But you need a service man to check it...Your bearings could be damaged as well or at least need to be oiled with all the use its had...Cheaper to fix it right now...

Lansing
Lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:45 AM   #3

Yep, you are right, your circuit board needs replaced, there is a fan reley on the board that is sticking. That board has been updated to a hk42fz012 in believe.
HvacWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
the Musigician

then again, he could simply have a bypass fan switch someone left "on".... no fix at all needed (well, turn off the switch, of course...)
just a thought.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansing View Post
Get the system cleaned and serviced...NOW...It could have a bad part that turns on or off the blower motor...But you need a service man to check it...Your bearings could be damaged as well or at least need to be oiled with all the use its had...Cheaper to fix it right now...

Furnace motors have what are called permanently lubricated bearings. You no longer oil them.

Running a motor in the fashion described here will certainly not cause motor damage.

There is less wear and tear on a motor running full time than the one that starts and stops several times a day.This is due to the in-rush current that motor induces on start up.

We may be talking about two different things so if I took your wording wrong I apologize in advance: Clean and Service is just a PM service that goes over the furnace looking for possible faults to be detected before they cause a break down.

What the gent need is a Service Call to address the EXACT problem as it is now occurring.

There has been confusion on the part of the general public that they are on and the same. They are not.

Last edited by hvaclover; 10-26-2008 at 10:32 AM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
the Musigician

around here, the guy they send to do the pm (periodic maintenance) is the same guy they send for repairs. so in essence, if he thinks a checkup is in line, go for it! then just mention the problem to the guy they send. he'll know for sure because he's there, and can either fix it right then if it's easy or he's just a nice guy in a good mood, or at least re-schedule a repair time. you win either way, as a service call costs around $80 for them to walk in the door, then hourly + parts, and the pm is usually $50 or $60. =o) of course, if you just bought the thing last year...... n/m

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 10-26-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
around here, the guy they send to do the pm (periodic maintenance) is the same guy they send for repairs. so in essence, if he thinks a checkup is in line, go for it! then just mention the problem to the guy they send. he'll know for sure because he's there, and can either fix it right then if it's easy or he's just a nice guy in a good mood, or at least re-schedule a repair time. you win either way, as a service call costs around $80 for them to walk in the door, then hourly + parts, and the pm is usually $50 or $60. =o)

DM
A C/C around the tri county area (thorough job costs $80.00. That's what we get and there are 30 check points we do} I mention this only to differentiate between a C/C and a Srvice Call.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
What can I find here?

Was there a new thermostat installed prior to the problems happening? Just thinking outside the box here but if that were the case, sounds like a constant 24V hooked up to the fan that could have been done with a new thermostat.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
ice

I am assuming the unit was installed around 2001. Everthing was alredy here when I moved in including the thremostat. I was thinking along the lines of a stuck relay in the control board as well, but when i turn on the main power i get a 2 second delay, I hear a relay on the board click, a red led lights up and the blower starts. What is a blower motor bypass switch and where would it be? Could something have gone wrong with the thermostat to cause a constant 24v supply to the board? I am going to try and see if I have a constant 24v supply going to the board and update later. Thanks for the replys and all the help.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #10
ice

WOW I am a moron. Thanks for all your help. Somehow, somewhere, at sometime the fan auto/ on switch was moved to on insted of auto (and i got a theory how). Thanks again for all your help. Everything seems to be working normally now. P.s. if anyone lets someone watch their house for a week... check your thermostat when you get back.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
then again, he could simply have a bypass fan switch someone left "on".... no fix at all needed (well, turn off the switch, of course...)
just a thought.

DM
muahahahahahaha! chalk up another one to the mouse! lol
i love it when i'm right..... =o)

DM
Old 10-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #12

AArrgghhhh you're killin' me!

Call it by it's right name will'ya!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #13
the Musigician

well, you know.... that switch on the thingy..... we have two of them, one on the thermostat like his, and a rocker on the front of the furnace too. this was too easy.... c'mon, gimme a HARD one.... roflmao

DM
Old 10-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #14

Ok gimme the Superheat diff between a DX sysytem and a flooded system

Go ahead and Google it .ROLAO
Old 10-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
the Musigician

google laffed at me and said there ain't no such word as sysytem.... hehehehe