Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

furnace blower

My furnace / A/C blower motor has quit working. How do I replace it, and could it just be the blower capacitor?

dalphabets69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

furnace blower

Provide make/model of furnace, efficiency, multi speed fan. And some symptoms. Does fan work on fan setting or never?

Video is by a trained HVAC expert. Determine if you are able to attempt troubleshooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3MF_...eature=related

diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #3

furnace blower

I would not recommend watching this video for anyone. The "troubleshooting" he was using is what you might see from garrage mechanic not a professional. If you don't have a volt meter to check for power then you shouldn't troubleshoot electrical components and never as a professional would I recommend you jumper power to a component to get by for a while. DIYORPAY is correct when he asked for more information though. Yes it could be your capacitor if the fan doesn't run in any mode. It could also be you motor, controlboard, Thermostat, or power requirements not being met.
college A/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

furnace blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalphabets69 View Post
My furnace / A/C blower motor has quit working. How do I replace it, and could it just be the blower capacitor?

You can try spin the wheel when fan motor is calling. If it goes easy then you need a run cap. If it not turning when you are try to get it to. Then motor is bad.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #5

furnace blower

You can spin the wheel to determine if the bearings are bad but you may still have open windings and the wheel spin fine
college A/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #6

furnace blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator1076 View Post
You can try spin the wheel when fan motor is calling. If it goes easy then you need a run cap. If it not turning when you are try to get it to. Then motor is bad.
Telling someone inexperanced to stick there hand in a blower wile it is calling is not a good idea.
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
HVAC Supermodel

furnace blower

Without a volt meter and the skills to use it I would not recommend troubleshooting this. I guess you could always take the DIY $20 gamble and throw a cap at it... I just did a service call today where the homeowner bought $500 worth of parts, installed them, broke the most expensive one trying to force it in, then called me. Ended up being a $150 repair (on a part that he didn't replace haha), but due to him breaking it and some other reasons the call was just under $500, so in the end it could have been $250-$300. Much better than $1000... Anyway point being, might be a good idea to get it diagnosed by a pro ($99-$150) and then maybe try to tackle the repair yourself.

unicursalhex is offline   Reply With Quote