Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Furnace Age identification ?

I have an old Rheem model CP3D104 F1881 3966 gas furnace, can anyone tell me the year it was manufactured ?

It has a 125,000 btu input and I want to replace it with a 93% efficient new unit. What size btu should I install? I was told that because of the better efficiency rating I will not need a 125,000 btu furnace.

muelal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

it was built in 1981. You need to do or have done a manual J load calculation to determine the correct size needed.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

As above, a load calc should be done, its very possible that your current furnace is over sized by 150 to 200% or more.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #4

Cool

Has anyone heard of NORDYNE.
They handle or manufacture:
Broan
Frigidaire
Gibson
Kelvinator
Maytag
NuTone
Philco
Tappan
Westinghouse

What the best furnace? Or are they all the same in quality?
muelal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelal View Post
Broan
Frigidaire
Gibson
Kelvinator
Maytag
NuTone
Philco
Tappan
Westinghouse

Yes, Nordyne used to specialize in mobile home a/c systems but have now branched out into regular residential hvac systems. I know this because I changed an evaporator coil made by Nordyne last week. It was attached to a Nordyne furnace and a Frigidaire condenser. I called in the model and serial number to the local supply house that sells Nordyne and they told me it was a regular residential system and not meant for a mobile home. I can't say how well they work seeing as how the evaporator coil (the entire system actually) was new and under warranty and sprung a leak but in their defense I was not the one who previuosly had diagnosed the leak, it very well could have just been the txv not threaded tightly. The system did have refrigerant in it, not empty.

As for the furnace, it's pretty hard to mess one of those up no matter the manufacturer.

I've also installed a few Gibson condensers without any problems but then again, most manufacturers use the Copeland Scroll compressor in their condensers so in essense they're all the same.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 09-27-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Outside of those other brands than Nordyne owns and makes I don't believe that Nordyne themselves have been in the residential market long enough to have any kind of track record at all. In my 11-ish years in this trade last week was the first actual Nordyne residential system I have ever come across.

Maybe it's different up north, though.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelal View Post
Broan
Frigidaire
Gibson
Kelvinator
Maytag
NuTone
Philco
Tappan
Westinghouse

It depends on the if you are wanting just basic heating and cooling single stage without any bells and whistles such as variable or two speed/stage.

Overall, if all single stage or all variable speed, they're the same. They all use GE or Emerson motors and they mosly all use Copeland Scroll compressors in their condensers. They're just attaching their name to the cabinet.

The install is the most important thing on any system.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Outside of those other brands than Nordyne owns and makes I don't believe that Nordyne themselves have been in the residential market long enough to have any kind of track record at all. In my 11-ish years in this trade last week was the first actual Nordyne residential system I have ever come across.

Maybe it's different up north, though.
Nordyne bought Lear Siegler. Who had the rights to the Miller furnace design (bought it in the mid 50's) for mobile homes. Miller was founded back in the early 1900's. And was originally a residential home furnace manufacturer.

OP. Band is of little importance, how its installed will determine how well it holds up.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote