Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Furnace acting strangely

I have a Coleman Evcon electric ignition gas Furnace, I do not know much at all about this stuff, but lately it has been acting funny, it ignites and it sounds like a small motor is on, and then the big blower motor will kick on, then off, then on, then off, intermitently. It is on for only a couple of seconds before turning off again. It will eventually stay on, after three or four, sometimes more, tries and only seems to do this every couple of days. I thought the t-stat was bad, of course, and replaced it, but it did not solve the issue. It seems to only do this at night or early morning(????), but i have noticed it during the day as well. Any help would be useful and very appreciated, I am a student and do not have a lot of money to put into a furnace right now. I am pretty handy and know a little about electrical and such.....so hopefully I can fix it with a little help. THANKS!!!

Boulderv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Furnace acting strangely

Hi Boulderv7

I hope its not cold where you are at. The first thing you will want to do is locate the flue pipe. Get up on the roof, you will see either a piece that looks like a hubcap or a pie pan on the top of the flue. Take the screws out of this piece, take a flashlight and look inside the pipe. If you see a bunch of debris in the bottom of the pipe. The concentric will have to be removed and debris vacuumed out. If you don't see any debris, make sure the center pipe is not rusted out. If everything is ok on the flue side. You will more than likely need a new inducer assy. The model of this furnace will either be a DGAT or a DGAA. If you let me know I can tell you what part # to use if the inducer is needed.

Good luck
Rusty

#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #3

Furnace acting strangely

Is this on a mobile home furnace.I have had several ,were you just dont get enough heat and the blower cycles because a spider makes a web inside the orfice. The furnace gives of some heat but not at full boar because the spider web slows down the gas presure.just a guess
trollmastergeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #4

Furnace acting strangely

yes it is a mobile home, I have checked the flue pipe, everything looks clean and not much rust at all. I am just wondering what the mechanics of this is.... what is an inducer and what is its function? Why would debris in the pipe cause it to do this? In reply to trollmastergeneral, where would the spiderweb be (we have tons of spiders around here) in order to cause this? If i do need a new inducer, how much $ am I looking at and how easy to replace is it? Thanks for all the help guys, it is REALLY appreciated!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #5

Furnace acting strangely

The inducer motor is a small motor on the inside of the furnace usualy above the gas valve. The spiderweb I am reffering to would be at the end of the gas line on the other side of the gas valve. Called the orfice.On mobile homes when you take the gas valve off, is when you will see the orfice.Once the gas valve is off you will need to unscrew the orfice and look inside orfice.

the ventor motor draws fresh air in and exhausts the fumes.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Furnace acting strangely

Hi Boulderv7

The inducer assembly for the furnace models I gave you range anywhere form $100-$130. They are definately unit specific, like I said in my earlier response. If you will give me the letters on the furnace I can give you the part # for your inducer. But I would reccomend what trollmaster suggested before spending your money.

Good luck
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #7

Cool

Furnace acting strangely

well, I cleaned out my entire furnace area, including the orfice and inducer motor... it was pretty dirty, the previous owner must not have changed filters regularly..... found some spider webs..... it hasn't acted up since I did that,and its been a couple of days, so I think thats what it was, which is awesome and free!!! Thanks so much for all the help!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #8

Furnace acting strangely

Well I am glad we could help.