Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #1

Share |

Furnace and AC replacement... opinions?

I think it may be time to replace the 50 year old GE oil furnace, and trane heat pump and need some opinions. With the price of oil, I pay over $2k every winter, we usually end up going through 650+ gallons of fuel depending on how harsh the winter is. I would like to go with electric and get rid of oil all together. A friend of a good friend of mine is an hvac installer and owns his own business. He is recommending a goodman system. I just read a ton of reviews on goodman, and probably 75% were bad. And the ones that were good were saying goodman was recieving bad marks because of inexperienced techs installing systems. 90% of the bad reviews were for the condenser and coils leaking freon, and apparently goodmans warrenty DOES NOT include labor which is a huge expense. But my tech is swearing by goodman to be a good name. Im a little gun shy here, because its gonna take everything ive got to replace this system. Im not going to be able to afford service calls and weeks or months of downtime. Ive done some reading on the site and hear alot of you referring to manual j and manual d? what exactly is that? I have about a 5K budget for this project, and need to replace the whole system, furnace and heat pump / ac. My house is approximatly 60 years old with 1900sq ft. Can anyone give me some rough ideas or opinions on what would be a good system, and maybe a very rough price including install?

Thanks!

Cysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Anyone, even youself, can get your hands on Goodman system without a conractor. So anyone can install them and usually do. Those anyones aren't proper techs with knowledgee or correct tools so the name suffers.
Your friends friend is a Goodman dealer, more he sells the less expensive it is for him. Higher profit.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #3

Thats kinda what worries me a bit. If hes selling goodman systems just to get a higher profit, and THEN labor costs if something goes wrong, seems like a win win, for him! Have any of you pros installed goodman, and what did ya think of them? He's saying under 5K for the complete system, but ive also seen complete lennox systems installed for under 5K as well...
Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

If you get the goodman have him include the 10 year labor warranty
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

I install everything: Rheem, Ruud, Carrier, Payne, Bryant, Lennox, Air-Flo, Nordyne and it's subsidaries as well as Goodman, Trane and American Standard. If there are any others I've missed well I've installed them as well, including Westinghouse.

It works the same way for all dealers of all brands. For your friend's friend it may just be that he has a cash account with the supply house that sells Goodman meaning he may not be a dealer but that's all he can get his hands on. I don't know, I don't know the guy and I'm not there. I do know that I myself have worked with some small companies who only had cash accounts at certain supply houses that only sold one or two brands. Not every contractor can get their hands on all makes.

I used to live directly across the street from the original Goodman manufacturing plant here in Houston. I knew guys who worked in there on the manufacturing line. They themselves have told me that they do not get to properly check the pressure on coils for leaks before the units were shipped out.

That being said and again, I've installed many Goodmans's throughout the years, I think I may have only had one that leaked, an evaporator coil's txv that wasn't tightened down all the way so not even the coil itself. Since it was me who installed it and I didn't catch it upon install there was no charge to go and remedy the situation. Heck, I felt stupid not catching it the first time around and wanted to fix it.
Other than that everyone is going to tell you that it's all about the install, if it's done correctly than you shouldn't have any worries. That goes for all brands. I'm not going to lie to you and say there isn't a possibility of a leaky coil right from the start but the installer should perform a pressure test before running the system to verify. Once it's verified that there is no leak then you're golden. If there is a leak then he needs to correct it right then and there be it if it is a coil and not his brazing of a joint leaking, remove the coil and go and get another one. But if there's not then most likely you'll be good for many, many years.

I don't think that you want Goodman, it doesn't appear it'll sit well with you either before, like now, or once installed as you've apparently already made up your mind so don't force yourself. Find someone else who can offer a different brand but remember, at the basic entry level system they're pretty much all the same from one brand to the other. They all use the same compressors and the fan motors, contactors, control boards, everything. At any level, actually. It's simply the coils and the cabinets that they have their name on.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 04-26-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysnake View Post
I think it may be time to replace the 50 year old GE oil furnace, and trane heat pump and need some opinions. With the price of oil, I pay over $2k every winter, we usually end up going through 650+ gallons of fuel depending on how harsh the winter is. I would like to go with electric and get rid of oil all together. A friend of a good friend of mine is an hvac installer and owns his own business. He is recommending a goodman system. I just read a ton of reviews on goodman, and probably 75% were bad. And the ones that were good were saying goodman was recieving bad marks because of inexperienced techs installing systems. 90% of the bad reviews were for the condenser and coils leaking freon, and apparently goodmans warrenty DOES NOT include labor which is a huge expense. But my tech is swearing by goodman to be a good name. Im a little gun shy here, because its gonna take everything ive got to replace this system. Im not going to be able to afford service calls and weeks or months of downtime. Ive done some reading on the site and hear alot of you referring to manual j and manual d? what exactly is that? I have about a 5K budget for this project, and need to replace the whole system, furnace and heat pump / ac. My house is approximatly 60 years old with 1900sq ft. Can anyone give me some rough ideas or opinions on what would be a good system, and maybe a very rough price including install?

Thanks!
there are good, better, and best hvac systems..the most important part of these systems is install....if done proper they function according to manufactures specs and give yrs of maintance free operation most companys handle all 3 models at 3 different price ranges...ben...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #7

Don't you have any natural gas out there?
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #8

No, no natural gas. Atleast where im at anyway. Im a little off the beaten path
Old 04-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #9

Is electric less expensive than propane?

I can't imagine electric being less expensive than anything else.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
Is electric less expensive than propane?

I can't imagine electric being less expensive than anything else.
A heat pump with electric aux heat is usually cheaper then oil or propane only.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote