Frozen AC Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Frozen AC Furnace

I am a complete novice with this stuff so forgive me if I use incorrect terms/explanations.

I have refrigerated air and live in an apartment style condo. My furnace is freezing when running the AC for only a few hours or less. It is building up frost around the thick connection. The ac guy that came last time mentioned that it can freeze and cause the air flow to block. I do not know where to start with preventing this from freezing, please help!

Here is where it is visibly freezing(not frozen in picture)

Thank you for any help!

Advertisement

Last edited by hastethechariot; 07-01-2011 at 01:51 AM. Reason: add pictures
hastethechariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,096

Frozen AC Furnace

low refrigerant charge and poor air flow will cause the evap to freeze.... these are the most common reason. Check your filter and if clean call a pro to have refrigerant level checked.

Advertisement

hastethechariot (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Frozen AC Furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
low refrigerant charge and poor air flow will cause the evap to freeze.... these are the most common reason. Check your filter and if clean call a pro to have refrigerant level checked.
Thanks for the fast response. I checked the filer and it was dirty even though it was only 1 month old. I have replaced it and will test now. Thanks so much for your help. I will post how it works.
hastethechariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 334

Frozen AC Furnace

You most likely have a refrigerant leak, a one month old filter is not going to cause that much restriction in airflow. Leaks usually come from the evaporator coil which is located behind the green panel where the red arrow is on the picture where the lines enter the air handler. If you can remove the panel and look at the coil, that will give you an idea. The coil could be dirty and/or the coil could be old and rusting badly to the point where pinhole leaks are developing and causing a slow refrigerant leak.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote